BOISE, Idaho - The No. 38 Boise State men's tennis team (2-0, 1-0 MW) opened the season with a pair of wins over Montana and Air Force at the Boas Tennis Center, Saturday. Of the 18 total matches played throughout the day, the Broncos won 15, dropping only two singles and one doubles match.
After losing its top two players from last season, Boise State relied on some new faces to fill out the lineup. The newcomers would stake their claim going a combined 5-0 in singles play and being a part of three winning doubles teams.
Garrett Patton and Thomas Tenreiro led the way, picking up singles wins in both matches of the doubleheader. Patton tallied two doubles wins as well and was the only player to earn four overall wins.
In the opening match against Montana, Boise State picked up a sweep during doubles play before winning all six singles matches in straight sets.
In the evening match against Air Force, the Broncos struck first by clinching the doubles point on courts one and two. Toby Mitchell and Filipp Pogostkin defeated their opponents 8-4 while the No. 1 team of Patton/Scott Sears cruised to an 8-2 win.
In singles play, Tenreiro, Patton and Pogostkin notched quick singles wins to clinch the team win with four points. Tenreiro shutout his opponent, 6-0, 6-0, while Patton and Pogostkin each only conceded three games. Sears was the fourth Bronco to win his singles match, finishing 6-3, 6-4 against Alex Grubbs.
With the two wins, Saturday, Boise State extended its home win-streak to 21 with the last home loss coming in the 2011 WAC Championships.
Boise State will be back in action next weekend when it heads to Berkeley, Calif., to face California, Friday and either Michigan or Santa Clara, Saturday.
No. 38 Boise State 7, Montana 0
1. Garrett Patton/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Andrew Warren/Ethan Vaughn, 8-7 (7-4)
2. Toby Mitchell/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Mike Facey/ZachDrost, 8-3
3. Aidan Reid/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Eric Braun/Semion Branzburg, 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Andrew Warren, 6-4, 7-5
2. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Mike Facey, 6-3, 7-5
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Ethan Vaughn, 6-4, 6-1
4. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Semion Branzburg, 6-4, 6-3
5. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Eric Braun, 6-1, 6-3
6. Freddy Walsh (BSU) def. Zach Drost, 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 5, 4, 1, 2
No. 38 Boise State 5, Air Force 2
1. Garrett Patton/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Grant Taylor/Lance Wilhelm, 8-2
2. Toby Mitchell/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Alex Grubbs/Andy Jackson, 8-4
3. Landon Kinsey/Ali Rizvi (AF) def. Aidan Reid/Andy Bettles, 8-7 (7-4)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Andy Bettles, 7-5, 6-3
2. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Landon Kinsey, 6-2, 6-1
3. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Alex Grubbs, 6-3, 6-4
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Grant Taylor, 6-1, 6-2
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Steven Young, 6-0, 6-0
6. Andy Jackson (AF) def. Brian Foley, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 10-7
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 2, 3, 1, 6