BERKELEY, Calif. - The Boise State men's tennis team (2-1, 1-0 MW) fell 4-1 in its first match of the ITA Kick Off Weekend against No. 14 California, Friday.
The Broncos lost the doubles point, 2-0 as the No. 7 team of Ben and Riki McLachlan defeated Andy Bettles and Nathan Sereke on court one, and Toby Mitchell and Filipp Pogostkin fell on court three. Garrett Patton and Scott Sears were in a close match on court two, tied at 6-6, when the doubles point was won.
In singles, freshman Thomas Tenreiro earned the Broncos' lone point with a win at the sixth position, defeating Engsted in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2.
The Golden Bears would clinch the match though with points at Nos. 1, 3 and 5.
Sereke and Pogostkin each had undecided matches when the dual was called off. After dropping the first set, Sereke was in a tiebreaker with No. 42 Christoffer Konigsfeldt on court two. Pogostkin won his first set in tiebreakers and was even at two games apiece on court four.
Boise State will face either No. 20 Michigan or No. 35 Santa Clara, Saturday at 10 a.m. PT.
No. 14 California 4, No. 38 Boise State 1
Jan. 25, 2013
1. No. 7 B. McLachlan/R. McLachlan def. Bettles/Sereke, 8-1
2. Engsted/Johnson vs. Patton/Sears DNF
3. Bayane/Konigsfeldt def. Pogostkin/Mitchell, 8-4
1. No. 66 Ben McLachlan (CAL) def. No. 28 Andy Bettles, 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 42 Christoffer Konigsfeldt (CAL) vs. Nathan Sereke, 6-3, 6-6
3. Campbell Johnson (CAL) def. Scott Sears 6-1, 6-2
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) vs. Gregory Bayane 7-6 (3), 2-2, DNF
5. Riki McLachlan (CAL) def. Garrett Patton, 6-4, 6-4
6. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. No. 92 Mads Engsted, 7-5, 6-2