MINNEAPOLIS – The No. 38 Boise State men’s tennis team returned to its winning ways, Saturday when the Broncos defeated No. 44 Minnesota, 4-3.
The Broncos started with a win in doubles, taking two of the three matches to go ahead 1-0.
Bettles/Sereke pulled off an upset at the first doubles position. The duo took down No. 24 Froment/Bonin 8-5, evening their record at 1-1 against ranked doubles opponents.
Patton/Sears cleaned up at the second doubles spot, defeating Hamburg/Ruddock 8-3. The two have been the most successful doubles team for the Broncos this season and move to 5-1 on the year, split between the No. 1 and No. 2 positions.
Each of the Broncos’ three wins this season have come after a clinch of the doubles point.
In singles, Andy Bettles extended his win streak to three matches and scored the first singles point of the day in his straight-set defeat of 63rd-ranked Leandro Toledo.
Freshman Thomas Tenreiro would win in similar fashion on court five. Tenreiro defeated Brendan Ruddock 6-4, 6-2 and leads the team with five singles wins this season.
After a newcomer would get the Broncos their third point of the match, it would be up to redshirt senior Scott Sears to clinch the team win. Sears dropped the first set 6-3 but rallied with a 6-3 win of his own in the second set. With the match on the line, Sears triumphed in the third set 6-1 elevating Boise State to the four-point plateau.
Boise State (3-4, 1-0 MW) will be back in action Sunday when it faces No. 35 Louisville at 11:30 a.m., CT.
No. 38 Boise State 4, No. 44 Minnesota 3
Baseline Tennis Center
1. Bettles/Sereke (BSU) def. No. 24 Froment/Bonin (MINN), 8-5
2. Patton/Sears (BSU) def. Hamburg/Ruddock (MINN), 8-3
3. Toledo/Frueh (MINN) vs. Mitchell/Pogostkin (BSU), 7-6 unfinished
1. No. 28 Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. No. 63 Leandro Toledo (MINN), 6-4, 6-2
2. No. 49 Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU), 7-6, 6-4
3. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU), 7-6. 6-2
4. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN), 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Tenreiro (BSU) def. Brendan Ruddock (MINN), 6-4, 6-2
6. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Garrett Patton (BSU), 1-6, 6-4, 6-4