SAN FRANCISCO - The Boise State men's tennis team held off San Francisco for a 6-1 victory and its third-straight win, Saturday.
The Broncos (6-7, 1-1 MW) started by winning the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Patton/Sears fell on court two, breaking an eight-match win streak. Mitchell/Pogostkin would level the score at 1-1 though with an 8-3 win at the third spot before Bettles/Sereke clinched the first point in an 8-6 victory.
The Broncos got to three team points thanks to victories by senior Scott Sears and freshman Toby Mitchell. Sears won after Will Schumacher retired midway through the second set. Mitchell took care of business in two sets, defeating Richard Bucalem, 6-3, 6-2.
Filipp Pogostkin clinched the match for Boise State in thrilling fashion. After winning the first set, 6-3, Pogostkin went down 5-0 in the second set. The fight was still there as he rallied to defeat German Bahri in tiebreakers, 7-6.
Garrett Patton also used a rally to pick up a win, his coming in the third set. Patton defeated Nils Skajaa 7-5 in the first set before conceding the second set 6-2. In the third, the sophomore fought off three match points to come back and win 7-5.
Andy Bettles gave the Broncos their sixth team point with a three-set victory of his own, defeating Thai Tu, 7-6, 6-7, 10-7. Bettles is now 8-2 in his last 10 matches.
"We had a couple guys who were at the brink of disaster but were able to come back," said head coach Greg Patton. "We had a lot of things we were struggling with but we overcame those things today."
Boise State will be back in action, Saturday at No. 49 Stanford. The match is slated for a 1 p.m. PT start.
Boise State 6, San Francisco 1
1. Bettles/Sereke def. Schumacher/Tu, 8-6
2. Saraiva/Skajaa def. Patton/Sears, 8-1
3. Mitchell/Pogostkin def. Bucalem/Knowlan, 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 30 Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Thai Tu, 7-6 (6), 6-7 (7), 10-7
2. Burnardo Saraiva (USF) def. Nathan Sereke, 6-1, 7-6 (5)
3. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Will Schumacher, 6-1, 3-0 (ret.)
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. German Bahri, 6-3, 7-6 (7)
5. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Nils Skajaa, 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
6. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Richard Bucalem, 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 4, 2, 5, 1