BOISE, Idaho – The No. 46 Boise State men’s tennis team extended its win streak to six matches, and it’s home win-streak to 26 matches with a 7-0 victory over No. 56 New Mexico, Monday.
The Broncos (12-8, 2-1 MW) started by winning the doubles point, thanks in-part to a comeback victory by the No. 1 team of Bettles/Sereke. The two were down 7-4 but rallied two win five-straight games and take the match 9-7. The dramatic finish clinched the point for Boise State after Patton/Sears had already won on court two by the same score.
Filipp Pogostkin and Garrett Patton each wrapped things up quickly on their courts with straight-set wins. Pogostkin took down Andy Van Der Vyver 6-1, 6-0 while Patton, the reigning Mountain West Player of the Week, won 6-1, 6-1.
Andy Bettles clinched the match for the Broncos while winning his 10th-consecutive match in a 6-1, 6-2 defeat of Sam Iftikhar.
From there, freshman Thomas Tenreiro and junior Nathan Sereke provided style points for Boise State. Tenreiro blanked James Hignett in the first set before edging out a 7-5 win in the second set. It marks the ninth-straight win for the Miami, Fla., native who has found a home at the No. 5 spot where he is 10-0.
Sereke won his first set in tiebreakers before his opponent, Jadon Phillips, retired due to injury in the second set.
Boise State will be back in action later this week when they host UC Santa Barbara, Thursday at noon and Utah State, Friday at 1:30 p.m. Both matches will be played at the Appleton Tennis Center.
No. 46 Boise State 7, No. 56 New Mexico 0
1. Bettles/Sereke (BSU) def. DuToit/Phillips, 8-7
2. Sears/Patton (BSU) def. Van Der Vyver/Hignett, 8-7
3. Iftikhar/Berg (BSU) def. Mitchell/Reid, 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 25 Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Sam Iftikhar, 6-1, 6-2
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Jadon Phillips, 7-6, 4-3 (ret.)
3. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Riaan DuToit, 6-1, 6-4
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Andy Van Der Vyver, 6-1, 6-0
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. James Hignett, 6-0, 7-5
6. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Simon Heglund, 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 1, 5, 2