BOISE, Idaho – The Boise State men’s tennis team rolled to another win, Friday, topping regional rival Utah State, 7-0.
Coach Greg Patton went with a new-look lineup for the match starting with doubles. The team of Reid/Mitchell played at the No. 2 spot and were the first to finish with an 8-2 victory. The duo of Walsh/Foley were on court three and gave the Broncos their first point of the match and a 1-0 edge heading into singles with an 8-4 win.
The singles lineup for Boise State was one of the future, as it included no seniors.
Thomas Tenreiro displayed a dominating performance at No. 3 for Boise State in singles by defeating Matt Sweet, 6-0, 6-2. The win marked 11-straight for the freshman who has served as the No. 5 player for the team most of the season, but got the bump up, Friday.
Fellow freshman Toby Mitchell and Brian Foley also picked up singles wins. Mitchell, who is a mainstay in the doubles lineup, is now 4-2 this season as he took down Sean Levesque, 6-2, 7-5 . Foley moved to 3-2 this dual season with a win against Curran Wearmouth, 6-3, 4-6, 10-7.
Andy Bettles and Nathan Sereke remained at the top of the lineup for the Broncos, cruising to singles victories. Bettles won 6-1, 6-1 to notch his 12th-straight win while on a streak of seven matches.
Sophomore Garrett Patton won at No. 4 for the Orange and Blue with a 6-2, 6-2 defeat of Marcus Fritz.
The team win is the 28th-consecutive at home for Boise State.
The Broncos will remain at home to host No. 40 BYU, Saturday (April 6) at 9:30 a.m. at the Appleton Tennis Center. The match is part of USTA’s College MatchDay. The first 200 fans to the courts will receive a free hat.
No. 48 Boise State 7, Utah State 0
March 29, 2013
Appleton Tennis Center
1. Poslusny/Sweet (USU) def. Bettles/Sereke, 8-5
2. Mitchell/Reid (BSU) def. Peterson/Levesque, 8-2
3. Walsh/Foley (BSU) def. Whiting/Fritz, 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Sven Poslusny, 6-1, 6-1
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Fredrik Peterson, 6-3, 6-3
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Matt Sweet, 6-0, 6-2
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Marcus Fritz, 6-2, 6-2
5. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Sean Levesque, 6-2, 7-5
6. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Curran Wearmouth, 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4, 2, 5, 6