WACO, Texas – Boise State’s 47th-ranked men’s tennis team opened the weekend at Waco, Texas, with a 4-0 defeat at the hands of the seventh-ranked Baylor Bears. Boise State lost the doubles point 2-0 to open the contest then lost the next three singles matches to end the contest. Unfortunately, the Broncos were leading in two of the three remaining singles matches when they were stopped with the fourth and decisive team point going to Baylor.
The loss moves Boise State to 1-2 overall, while Baylor goes to 1-0.
The doubles competition saw the Broncos’ team of Garrett Patton and Brendan McClain, the top team from the fall and ranked second regionally, battle Baylor’s No. 1 team of Patrick Pradella and Mate Zsiga to a 6-4 score before falling.
The only other doubles match to finish was on court two where Andy Bettles and Thomas Tenreiro were edge by the Bear’s Diego Galeano and Tony Lupieri 6-5. Toby Mitchell and Nathan Sereke were playing on court three when the contest was stopped following Baylor clinching the doubles point.
Singles was closer than the score showed with the Broncos battling the Bears close in the matches that were not completed when the contest was stopped. Sereke was about to split on court two, while Patton and Mitchell had just started their third sets on courts four and six, respectively.
Baylor extended its 1-0 lead following doubles to 2-0 when Tony Lupieri handed Brendan McClain his first loss of the team season. The Boise State freshman fell 6-1, 6-4 to the 92nd-ranked Bear on court five.
The score went to 3-0 when Tenreiro was defeated 6-5, 6-1 at No. 3 singles by 18th-ranked Diego Galeano. The decisive point came on court one where Boise State’s Andy Bettles, ranked 54th nationally, fell to second-ranked Patrick Pradella 6-3, 6-2.
No. 47 Boise State (1-2) at No. 7 Baylor (1-0)
January 25, 2014
Baylor def. Boise State 4-0
1. Patrick Pradella/Mate Zsiga (BU) def. Garrett Patton/Brendan McClain (BSU), 6-4
2. Diego Galeano/Tony Lupieri (BU) def. Andy Bettles/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU), 6-5
3. Julian Lenz/Robert Verzaal (BU) vs. Toby Mitchell/Nathan Sereke (BSU), DNF
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. #2 Julian Lenz (BU) def. #54 Andy Bettles (BSU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) vs. #7 Patrick Pradella (BU), 4-6, 5-2 DNF
3. #18 Diego Galeano (BU) def. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU), 6-5, 6-1
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) vs. Mate Zsiga (BU), 0-6, 6-3, 0-1 DNF
5. #92 Tony Lupieri (BU) def. Brendan McClain (BSU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Toby Mitchell (BSU) vs. Vince Schneider (BU), 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 DNF
Order of Finish: 5,3,1