Boise State Rallies to Claim 4-3 Road Win at BYU
PROVO, Utah - Brian Foley and Brendan McClain led a Boise State rally from 3-2 down to a 4-3 road victory Saturday night over Brigham Young in Provo, Utah. Trailing 3-2 in the team score, Boise State’s Foley evened the match with a straight-set 6-4, 6-1 win. McClain, a true freshman, completed the rally for the Broncos with a hard fought three-set 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 victory on court five to hand Boise State a key regional win over 66th-ranked BYU. The win extends the 45th-ranked Broncos’ win streak to five straight as they improve to 6-2 overall, the Cougars fell to 4-5.
Boise State opened the night dropping the doubles point to BYU. Andy Bettles and Thomas Tenreiro gave the blue and orange the initial lead with a win on court one by a 6-3 score. Unfortunately, the Cougars rallied to win the last two doubles matches 6-2 on courts two and three to claim the team point.
Garrett Patton drew Boise State even when he quickly dispatched BYU’s Jeremy Bourgeois in straight sets 6-0, 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
BYU regained its lead when Francis Sargeant downed the Broncos Andy Bettles 6-5, 6-3 at the ones. However, Tenreiro pulled Boise State back even again defeating Robin Pfister 6-5, 6-4 on court three.
The Cougars responded by earning a victory at No. 2 singles when Andrey Goryachkov won a tightly contested match over Boise State’s Sereke in three sets 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. That setup the Broncos final rally led by Foley and McClain.
Foley brought the score even once more when he tallied a straight set victory over the Cougars’ Aidan Carrazedo 6-4, 6-1. McClain finished the match off when he outlasted BYU’s Matthew Pearce 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 to clinch the team victory for the Broncos.
FINAL MATCH SUMMARY
No. 45 Boise State (5-2) at No. 66 Brigham Young (4-4)
Feb 8, 2014 at Provo, Utah
BYU Indoor Tennis Center
1. Bettles/Tenreiro (BSU) def. Sargeant/Goryachkov (BYU), 6-3
2. Sterling Galli/Bourgeois (BYU) def. Mitchell/Sereke (BSU), 6-2
3. Pearce/Pfister (BYU) def. McClain/Aidan Reid (BSU), 6-2
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Andy Bettles (BSU), 6-5 (4), 6-3
2. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Robin Pfister (BYU), 6-5 (7), 6-4
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU), 6-0, 6-2
5. Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Matthew Pearce (BYU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Aidan Carrazedo (BYU), 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 4,1,3,2,6,5