LOS ANGELES - Campbell Johnson won his singles match, but it wasn't enough for No. 13 California as the Golden Bears lost to No. 3 UCLA, 6-1, on Saturday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bears' record now stands at 3-2, while the Bruins improved to 7-0.
Johnson, a junior, beat UCLA's Adrien Puget, 7-5, 6-1, on court three.
The host Bruins had taken a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. On court two, Cal sophomore Gregory Bayane and freshman Mads Engsted fell, 8-2, in the first doubles match to finish to UCLA's Puget and Karue Sell, while the Cal new pair of junior Ben McLachlan and sophomore Chase Melton dropped an 8-5 result on court three to Alex Brigham/Dennis Mkrtchian to wrap up the doubles point for UCLA.
McLachlan was without his usual doubles partner - his brother, senior Riki McLachlan, who suffered an injury at USC on Friday.
In singles, UCLA extended its lead when the 41st-ranked Mkrtchian beat No. 93 Mads Engsted, 6-1, 6-2 on court four and then when Cal senior and 42nd-ranked Christoffer Konigsfeldt fell to 12th-ranked Marcos Giron on court two, 6-4, 6-4. The Bruins clinched the match when Sell topped No. 92 Melton on court six, 6-4, 6-3.
The teams played out the rest of the matches, with Johnson next winning on court three to make the score 4-1. On court one, 66th-ranked Ben McLachlan dropped the first set to UCLA's Dennis Novikov, 6-4, before bouncing back to win the second set, 6-3. But Novikov won the last set, 6-3, and the match.
On court five, Bayane also took his Bruin counterpart, Clay Thompson, to three sets before falling, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5.
Cal returns to action in the ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championship from Feb. 15-18 in Seattle.
No. 3 UCLA 6, No. 13 Cal 1
Feb. 09, 2013 at Los Angeles
Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. Giron/Novikov (UCLA) vs. Johnson/Konigsfeldt (Cal) 6-6, unfinished
2. Puget/Sell (UCLA) def. Bayane/Engsted (Cal) 8-2
3. Alex Brigham/Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. B. McLachlan/Melton (Cal) 8-5 UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. #66 Ben McLachlan (Cal) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. #12 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. #42 Christoffer Konigsfeldt (Cal) 6-4, 6-4
3. Campbell Johnson (Cal) def. Adrien Puget (UCLA) 7-5, 6-1
4. #41 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. #93 Mads Engsted (Cal) 6-1, 6-2
5. Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Gregory Bayane (Cal) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
6. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. #92 Chase Melton (Cal) 6-4, 6-3
Records: UCLA 7-0; Cal 3-2.
Order of finish: Doubles: 2,3. Singles: 4,2,6,3,1,5.