Clemson Defeats Georgia Tech
ATLANTA, GA - Dominique Maden defeated Dusan Miljevic at number-four singles in clinching the match and leading Clemson to a 4-3 victory over #68-ranked Georgia Tech in a men's intercollegiate tennis match at Atlanta, GA Sunday afternoon.
With the win, Clemson improves to 4-6 overall, 1-0 in the ACC. Georgia Tech falls to 5-7 overall and 0-2 in league play.
Georgia Tech won the team doubles point by sweeping all three matches. However, the Tigers won four of the six singles matches played to claim the win.
In singles, Kevin King, ranked 13th nationally, defeated Yannick Maden at number-one singles 6-1, 6-1 to take a 2-0 lead in the match. At number-two singles, the Tigers' Gerardo Meza defeated Juan Spir 6-2, 7-5.
Georgia Tech took a 3-1 advantage when Sevastian Lopez defeated Cedric Willems 6-3, 6-2 at number-six singles. From this point, Clemson came storming back, winning the next three singles matches in the middle of the lineup.
The Tigers' Hunter Harrington won at number-five singles with a 7-6, 6-4 victory over Eduardo Segura. At number-two singles, Gerardo Meza won his eighth match of the season and defeated #101 Juan Spir 6-2, 7-5 tying the match score 3-3.
In the clinching match, Dominique Maden then defeated the Yellow Jackets' Miljevic at number-four singles. He is now 8-9 on the year in singles, 5-4 in dual matches.
Clemson will play host to Miami in another ACC match next Sunday in the Tigers' next action.
Georgia Tech is one of Clemson's oldest opponents in men's tennis. The two teams have met 52 times since the first meeting on April 25, 1925. The series is now tied 26-26.
Clemson 4, #68 Georgia Tech 3
March 4, 2012 at Atlanta, GA
1. #13 Kevin King (GT) def. Yannick Maden (CU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Gerardo Meza (CU) def. #101 Juan Spir (GT) 6-2, 7-5
3. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) def. Juan Melian (GT) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
4. Dominique Maden (CU) def. Dusan Miljevic (GT) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
5. Hunter Harrington (CU) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
6. Sebastian Lopez (GT) def. Cedric Willems (CU) 6-3, 6-2
1. #2 Kevin King/Juan Spir (GT) def. Yannick Maden/Zachary Rigsby (CU) 8-2
2. Sebastian Lopez/Vikram Hundal (GT) def. Ayrton Wibowo/Cedric Willems (CU) 8-5
3. Dusan Miljevic/Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Dominique Maden/Wes Moran (CU) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,6,5,3,4)
T - 3:25
A - 100