#14 Auburn Defeats Clemson
MONTGOMERY, AL - The 14th-ranked Auburn men's tennis team defeated Clemson 4-1 in the third and final round at the Blue/Grey men's tennis classic in Montgomery, AL Sunday night.
Auburn is ranked 14th nationally according to the latest ITA poll. Clemson is ranked 66th and falls to 3-6 this season.
Clemson won the doubles point to start the match. Gerardo Meza and Cedric Willems defeated Andreas Mies and Lukas Ollert at number-two doubles 8-6. Dominique Maden and Wesley Moran defeated Auburn's Lucas Lopasso and Rafael Rondino at number-three doubles.
Auburn went on to claim four singles matches to take the victory.
Clemson will open ACC play next Sunday as the Tigers play at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, GA. Match time is set for 12:00 noon.
1. Smatter/Cochrane (AU) vs. Y. Maden/Rigsby (CU) DNF
2. Meza/Willems (CU) d. Mies/Ollert (AU) 8-6
3. D. Maden/Wesley Moran (CU) d. Lopasso/Rondino (AU) 8-5
1. Yannick Maden (CU) Andreas Mies (AU) DNF
2. Alex Stamchev (AU) Gerardo Meza (CU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Daniel Cochrane (AU) Dominique Maden (CU) DNF
4. Lukas Ollert (AU) Ayrton Wibowo (CU) 6-3. 6-4
5. Lucas Lopasso (AU) Zachary Rigsby (CU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Rafael Rondino (AU) Cedric Willems (CU) 0-6, 6-0, 6-2