Clemson Defeats Boston College 5-2
CLEMSON, SC--Clemson defeated Boston College 5-2 in an Atlantic Coast Conference men's tennis match at Clemson, SC Sunday afternoon.
With the win, Clemson improves to 8-8 overall, 4-1 in the ACC. Boston College falls to 4-8 overall, 0-6 in league play. The Tigers are ranked 63rd according to the latest ITA poll. The four ACC victories are the most for Clemson since the 2007 season.
"Again, we performed at the highest level," said Clemson Head Coach Chuck McCuen. "I'm very proud of our attitude. Our players enter the matches prepared to play and this shows a huge growth point in our program."
Clemson won the doubles point and won at number-one doubles. The Tigers duo of Yannick Maden and Ayrton Wibowo defeated Akash Muppidi and Alex Skinner 8-4 at the top spot in the doubles competition.
In singles, Clemson won four straight matches to claim the victory. At number-four singles, Dominique Maden defeated the Eagles' Philip Nelson 6-3, 6-1. The next match off was the number-two singles as Gerardo Meza defeated Billy Grokenberger of Boston College 6-1, 6-1.
The Tigers' Hunter Harrington won his match over Jonathan Raude at number-five singles 6-4, 6-2. Zachary Rigsby of Clemson defeated Klaus Puestow of Boston College 6-2, 6-4 at number-six singles to give the Tigers a 5-0 lead in the match.
At number-three singles, the Eagles' Skinner defeated Wibowo 2-6, 6-2, 6-4. In the final match of the day, Muppidi defeated Yannick Maden at the number-one flight 6-4, 7-5.
"Winning another ACC match should give our guys confidence," said McCuen. "I give them a lot of credit. As our Head Football Coach Dabo Swinney says `We're All In'--it's the Clemson way. Our coaches, staff, and players are `All In' and it shows."
Clemson will play at Duke on Friday and at North Carolina on Sunday in the Tigers' next action.
Clemson 5, Boston College 2
1. Akash Muppidi (BC) d. Yannick Maden (CU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Gerardo Meza (CU) d. Billy Grokenberger (BC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Alex Skinner (BC) d. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Dominique Maden (CU) d. Philip Nelson (BC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Hunter Harrington (CU) d. Jonathan Raude (BC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Zachary Rigsby (CU) d. Klaus Puestow (BC) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 5, 6, 3, 1
1. Yannick Maden/Ayrton Wibowo (CU) d. Akash Muppidi/Alex Skinner (BC) 8-4
2. Gerardo Meza/Zachary Rigsby (CU) d. Michael McGinnis/Philip Nelson (BC) 8-5
3. Dominique Maden/Wesley Moran (CU) d. Billy Grokenberger/Matt Wagner (BC) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
Time of Match: 3:11
Clemson--8-8, 4-1 in the ACC
Boston College--4-8, 0-6 in the ACC