Harvard Men’s Tennis Rolls to Second Round of Hilton Mission Valley Spring Classic
SAN DIEGO – Harvard men's tennis took down the University of California Irvine 6-1, in the first round of the Hilton Misison Valley Spring Classic, held at San Diego State University, Friday. The Crimson was nearly flawless in singles competition, as they went 5-1 against the Anteaters.
Harvard began the match going 2-1 against UC Irvine in doubles play as senior Alistair Felton and sophomore Casey MacMaster defeated the team of Fabian Matthews and Jacob Jung, 9-7. The team of sophomore Christo Schultz and Jonathan Pearlman played out of the three spot, and tallied a win against Jon Kazarian and Mika Decoster, 8-5. Andy and Denis Nguyen suffered the lone defeat in doubles action losing to Sam Gould and Jacob Jung, 8-2. With the 2-1 advantage, Harvard earned the doubles point, and took a 1-0 lead in the match.
The Crimson dominated in singles competition tallying five out of six wins during the session. Pearlman, who competed out of the No. 1 spot, defeated Fabian Matthews, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, while D. Nguyen defeated Jung, 7-5, 7-5 out of the No. 2 position. Schultz remained undefeated this spring season as he took down Gould in the No. 3 spot, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2. While the strong play of freshmen Shaun Chadhuri and Henry Steer led to two more Harvard wins in the No. 5 and No. 6 positions, respectively, as Chaudhuri defeated Ryan Chueng, 6-2, 6-1 and Steer downed Shuhei Shibahara, 6-4, 6-0. Kazarian tallied the Anteaters' only singles victory during the match, as he defeated freshman Alex Steinroeder, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
With the win Harvard advanced to the second round of the tournament as they will play host University of San Diego, today at 10 a.m. (PST). The Toreros defeated Marquette yesterday, 4-3.
Full results are found below:
1. Casey MacMaster / Alistair Felton (Harvard) def. Fabian Matthews / Jacob Jung (UCI), 9-7
2. Sam Gould / Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Andy Nguyen / Denis Nguyen (Harvard), 8-2
3. Christo Schultz / Jonathan Pearlman (Harvard) def. Jon Kazarian / Mika DeCoster (UCI), 8-5
1. Jonathan Pearlman (Harvard) def. Fabian Matthews (UCI), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Denis Nguyen (Harvard) def. Jacob Jung (UCI), 7-5, 7-5
3. Christo Schultz (Harvard) def. Sam Gould (UCI), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Jon Kazarian (UCI) def. Alex Steinroeder (Harvard), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Shaun Chaudhuri (Harvard) def. Jacob Jung (UCI), 6-2, 6-1
6. Henry Steer (Harvard) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI), 6-4, 6-0