Three Hoosiers Defeat Ranked Players, but IU Falls Just Short to No. 14 Michigan
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – No. 41 Indiana fell for the first time in four matches to one of the best teams in the country in No. 14 Michigan on Sunday afternoon, 4-3. Each of IU’s three points were earned in singles play, where Hoosier players upset three ranked Wolverines.
In doubles, Michigan clinched the doubles points in the No. 1 and No. 2 matches. The No. 3 match was not finished since the Wolverines took the point right away.
In singles, U-M won the first three matches at No. 4, No. 3 and No. 6 to clinch the team victory right away. But those were the only wins the Wolverines would have for the remainder of the afternoon.
In the No. 2 match, IU’s Evgeniya Vertesheva battled No. 65 Brooke Bolender and earned a straight set victory, 7-5, 6-2. In the No. 5 position, Indiana’s Alecia Kauss upended No. 121 Sam Critser in consecutive sets to give IU’s second upset victory of the match.
In the No. 1 bout, No. 99 Leslie Hureau found herself matched up with No. 10 Emina Bektas of Michigan. Hureau cruised in the first set taking it by a 6-2 margin. Bektas did not back down, winning the second set, 4-6. Hureau continued to get stronger and dominated the third and final set, 6-1. It marked Hureau’s first win over a top 10 singles player this season.
“The only reason this was disappointing was because we put ourselves in position for a huge upset win and couldn’t quite do it,” head coach Lin Loring said. “It was probably our best play in singles, top to bottom, as a team. Hopefully the team will realize what level we can play at when everyone is 100 percent engaged. We had some huge wins in singles today, now we just have to build on this and keep getting better.”
IU will be at home next weekend for a pair of conference matches. The first taking place on Saturday, April 7, against Iowa. Indiana’s next matchup will be vs. Nebraska on Sunday, April 8. Both matches are slated to begin at 11 a.m. ET.
No. 14 Michigan 4, No. 41 Indiana 3
1. #99 Leslie Hureau (IND) def. #10 Emina Bektas (MICH) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
2. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) def. #65 Brooke Bolender (MICH) 7-5, 6-2
3. Sarah Lee (MICH) def. Katie Klyczek (IND) 7-5, 6-2
4. #114 Mimi Nguyen (MICH) def. Carolyn Chupa (IND) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. #121 Sam Critser (MICH) 7-6, 6-1
6. Kristen Dodge (MICH) def. Kayla Fujimoto (IND) 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. #7 Emina Bektas/Brooke Bolender (MICH) def. Sophie Garre/Katie Klyczek (IND) 8-1
2. Mimi Nguyen/Michelle Sulahian (MICH) def. Kayla Fujimoto/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) 8-4
3. Shannon Murdy/Leslie Hureau (IND) vs. Sam Critser/Sarah Lee (MICH) 6-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,6,2,5,1)
- IUHoosiers.com -