Tar Heels Top Texas Tech, 5-2
SAN DIEGO, Calif. --- No. 1 North Carolina rallied from a 2-0 deficit to post a 5-2 win over No. 21 Texas Tech Wednesday at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center. Caroline Price, Ashley Dai, Zoe De Bruycker, Whitney Kay and Gina Suarez-Malaguti were singles winners for the Tar Heels, who improved to 14-1 on the season with the victory. Texas Tech fell to 9-4 on the year.
Carolina dropped the doubles point for just the third time in 2013, as Texas Tech took matches on courts one and three to secure the early advantage. Price and Dai were first to finish on court two, making quick work of No. 61 Nikki Sanders and Rashmi Teltumbde, 8-3. But the Lady Raiders scored a pair of matching 8-6 victories on the other two courts to enter singles with the lead.
Texas Tech took a brief 2-0 lead before the Tar Heels strung together five consecutive straight-set wins to claim the dual. Elizabeth Ullathorne topped Lauren McHale on court four, 6-1, 6-2, but that would be the last point of the day for the Lady Raiders.
No. 30 Price got UNC on the board with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Sanders on court five, and No. 123 Dai made it 2-2 soon after with a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over Caroline Starck on court six.
No. 36 De Bruycker gave Carolina its first lead of the day on court two, besting No. 118 Kenna Kilgo, 6-2, 6-4. No. 23 Kay then clinched the dual on court three, topping Teltumbde, 6-2, 6-2.
No. 4 Suarez-Malaguti took the day's final point at the top of the lineup, dispensing of Samantha Adams, 6-4, 6-2.
Carolina returns to the court Thursday, March 21, when the Tar Heels visit league rival NC State at 4 p.m. in Raleigh.
No. 1 North Carolina 5, No. 21 Texas Tech 2
San Diego, Calif. (Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center)
1. #34 Samantha Adams / Kenna Kilgo (TT) def. Lauren McHale / Whitney Kay (UNC) 8-6
2. Caroline Price / Ashley Dai (UNC) def. #61 Nikki Sanders / Rashmi Teltumbde (TT) 8-3
3. Elizabeth Ullathorne / Caroline Starck (TT) def. Gina Suarez-Malaguti / Kate Vialle (UNC) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. #4 Gina Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) def. Samantha Adams (TT) 6-4, 6-2
2. #36 Zoe De Bruycker (UNC) def. #118 Kenna Kilgo (TT) 6-2, 6-4
3. #23 Whitney Kay (UNC) def. Rashmi Teltumbde (TT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) def. Lauren McHale (UNC) 6-1, 6-2
5. #30 Caroline Price (UNC) def. Nikki Sanders (TT) 6-2, 6-4
6. #123 Ashley Dai (UNC) def. Caroline Starck (TT) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6, 2, 3, 1