No. 48 Women's Tennis Falls to Winthrop
RALEIGH, N.C. - The No. 48 NC State women's tennis team fell to Winthrop, 4-3, on Saturday, Feb. 14, in Raleigh, N.C. The Pack won the doubles point, but only two of the singles matches. NC State is now 1-5 on the season, and the Eagles improve to 3-3.
The Pack started out the day by earning the doubles point after winning two of the three matches. Freshman Pender Sessoms and sophomore Jackie Ussery fell 8-1 at No. 3 to Paula Pereira and Sara Abutovic, but junior Berkeley Brock and sophomore Lenka Hojckova took down Patricia Coimbra and Elizaveta Zaytseva, 8-2, at No. 1. Senior Neils Barringer and freshman Diana Mortlock fended off Lisa Wilkinson and Sandra Herrera to grab the 8-6 win at No. 1, and to give NC State the early lead.
Wilkinson defeated Sessoms, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5, and Brock took down Coimbra, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 2. Barringer lost to Herrera, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 3, and Ussery fell to Pereira, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 6.
Abutovic won the match for the Eagles, defeating Mortlock, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, at No. 4. No. 87 Hojckova won the Pack's last singles point with a 6-3, 1-6, 6-4, victory at No. 1 over Zaytseva.
The Pack will be on the road for the next four matches, taking on Southern Methodist on Feb. 20, TCU on Feb. 21, and then facing Central Florida on March 2, and Florida International on March 4.
Winthrop d. No. 48 NC State, 4-3
1. Brock/Hojckova d. Coimbra/Zaytseva (Winthrop), 8-2
2. Barringer/Mortlock d. Wilkinson/Herrera (Winthrop), 8-6
3. Pereira/Abutovic (Winthrop) d. Sessoms/Ussery, 8-1
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1. No. 87 Lenka Hojckova d. Elizaveta Zaytseva (Winthrop), 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
2. Berkeley Brock d. Patricia Coimbra (Winthrop), 6-3, 6-2
3. Sandra Herrera (winthrop) d. Neils Barringer, 7-5, 6-1
4. Sara Abutovic (Winthrop) d. Diana Mortlock, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Lisa Wilkinson (Winthrop) d. Pender Sessoms, 6-1, 6-0
6. Paula Pereira (Winthrop) d. Jackie Ussery, 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 5,2,3,6,4*,1
*Clinches the win