EVANSTON, Ill. -- Northwestern followed up a disappointing loss to Texas on Friday by dismantling No. 19 Baylor in a 4-1 win Sunday afternoon at Combe Tennis Center. The Wildcats stormed out to take the doubles point quickly, and only dropped three sets total in singles play. The dual win gives NU an impressive result to carry into B1G conference play, as the `Cats open up their campaign March 2nd against Illinois.
Northwestern jumped all over Baylor at the outset, capturing the doubles point in just over half an hour. Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett overwhelmed their opponents at No. 2, storming out to a 7-0 lead before closing out an 8-1 victory. Kate Turvy and Belinda Niu were not far behind at No. 3, distancing themselves from Megan Horter and Alex Clay for an 8-2 win to clinch the doubles point for the Wildcats. Nida Hamilton and Linda Abu Mushrefova were on serve at 4-all when their No. 1 match was suspended.
The Wildcats carried their momentum into singles play, where Alicia Barnett kept her hot streak alive to post NU's first win. Coming off a 6-1, 6-1 victory over her Texas opponent, the freshman was just as dominant in her 6-3, 6-2 win over Alex Leatu at No. 6. Brittany Wowchuk followed at No. 4, distancing herself from Maria Biryukova in the second set of a 6-3, 6-0 win, giving Northwestern a 3-0 lead on the scoreboard.
Baylor countered with 13th-ranked Ema Burgic's 6-1, 6-2 win over No. 41 Kate Turvy at No. 1, closing the gap to 3-1.
However, No. 83 Belinda Niu responded with a 6-2, 6-1 win over No. 86 Megan Horter, pushing the lead to 4-1 and clinching the dual victory for the Wildcats. Linda Abu Mushrefova split her first two sets before her No. 5 match was abandoned at 4-6, 6-3, 2-1. Veronica Corning was up 3-2 in the second when play was halted, after she had taken the opening set in a tiebreak, 7-3.
Northwestern is now set to kick off conference play, hosting Illinois on Saturday, March 2 at Combe Tennis Center. The Campus Kids Day match begins at 11 a.m.; free pizza will be served.
Northwestern 4, Baylor 1
1. No. 15 Hamilton/Mushrefova (NU) unfinished Burgic/Kisialeva (BU) 4-4
2. Barnett/Corning (NU) def. Generette/Leatu (BU) 8-1
3. Niu/Turvy (NU) def. Horter/Clay (BU) 8-2
Order of finish:2, 3*
1. No. 13 Ema Burgic def. No. 41 Kate Turvy (NU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Veronica Corning (NU) unfinished Victoria Kisialeva (BU) 7-6 (3), 3-2
3. No. 83 Belinda Niu (NU) def. No. 86 Megan Horter 6-2, 6-1
4. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Maria Biryukova (NU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) unfinished Kiah Generette (BU) 4-6, 6-3, 2-1
6. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Alex Leatu (BU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish:6, 4, 1, 3*