COLUMBUS, Ohio – The fourth ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team knocked off No. 72 East Tennessee State, 7-0, Saturday at the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center in the first round of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend event. With the victory, Ohio State advanced to the championship match of the four-team regional tournament to be played Sunday not before 1 p.m. The Scarlet and Gray will play the winner of the match between No. 71 Louisiana-Lafayette and No. 65 Miami for a spot in the ITA National Indoor Championship Feb. 15 in Seattle, Wash.
Buckeyes Win Big
Behind the strong play of Ohio State’s ranked singles competitors, No. 1 Peter Kobelt, No. 13 Connor Smith, No. 30 Chris Diaz, the Buckeyes were able to defeat the Buccaneers 7-0. Capturing the first doubles victory were Kobelt and Kevin Metka. The Buckeye pair shut out Roger Ordeig and Ricardo Pabon 8-0. Earning Ohio State the team point with the second doubles victory was the tandem of Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen who defeated Jesus Bandres and Rogerio Ribeiro 8-4.
In the singles portion of the match, Blaz Rola secured his first victory of the spring season with a win over Bandres 6-3, 6-4 on court one. Kobelt was next to win for Ohio State as he defeated Ribeiro 6-4, 6-3 on court two. Clinching the match for Ohio State was Constantin Christ in a 6-1, 6-1 win against Pabon. McCarthy, Smith and Diaz also were victorious in their respective matches.
Tennis Match Results
East Tennessee State University vs Ohio State
Jan 26, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#4 Ohio State 7, #72 East Tennessee State University 0
1. Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Jesus Bandres (ETSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. #1 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Jorge Varon (ETSU) 7-5, 6-3
4. #13 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Juan Ramirez (ETSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. #30 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) def. Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Jesus Bandres/Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) 8-4
2. Blaz Rola/Connor Smith (OSU) vs. Jorge Varon/Juan Ramirez (ETSU) 7-5, unfinished
3. Peter Kobelt/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Roger Ordeig/Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) 8-0
East Tennessee State University 1-2; National ranking #72
Ohio State 5-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,2,6,4,5,3)
Official: Vince Solomon T-2:57 A-64