COLUMBUS, Ohio - The fifth-ranked Ohio State men's tennis improved its home win streak to 163 matches during the course of 10 years after it defeated Indiana, 7-0, Sunday afternoon in the Varsity Tennis Center. The Buckeyes, who are 18-2 overall, including a 3-0 record in the Big Ten, suffered its last loss at home to Illinois in April 5, 2003, a 5-2 setback.
Ohio State will hit the road for three consecutive matches vs. Big Ten opponents Nebraska March 29 and Iowa March 31 and Kentucky April 3 before returning to Columbus for an April 5 match vs. Wisconsin at 6 p.m.
The match-winning point was earned by Connor Smith, ranked 37th, on court No. 5. The senior from Tampa, Fla., defeated Dimitrije Tasic 6-1, 6-4. The additional singles victories needed to reach four points came first from Devin McCarthy with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Isade Juneau and Hunter Callahan, who beat Chris Essick 6-4, 6-1.
The Buckeyes won the doubles point for the 19th time this season. Each doubles team won their respective matches by an 8-6 score. The 28th-ranked duo of McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen defeated Josh MacTaggert and Daniel Bednarczyk. The second Ohio State victory was recorded by Blaz Rola andKevin Metka, the Buckeye tandem that forms the 51st-ranked doubles team in the country. Rola and Metka were winners over Tasic and Essick on court three. The final doubles match to finish featured a pair of ranked teams in No. 16 Peter Kobelt and Smith vs. No. 31 Sam Monette and Juneau. Kobelt and Smith successfully maintained the Ohio State doubles shutout.
Three Buckeyes played out their matches. On court No. 2, the 20th-ranked Rola beat MacTaggert 6-0, 6-4. Next off the court was No. 3 Kobelt, who won 6-4, 6-4 against Sam Monette. In the final match to finish, No. 45 Chris Diaz improved to 13-3 with a 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4) win over Bednarczyk.
Ohio State will travel to Lincoln, Neb., where the Buckeyes and Cornhuskers will commence at 4 p.m. March 29.
Tennis Match Results
Indiana vs Ohio State
Mar 24, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#5 Ohio State 7, Indiana 0
1. #3 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Sam Monette (IND) 6-4, 6-4
2. #20 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Josh MacTaggert (IND) 6-0, 6-4
3. #124 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Isade Juneau (IND) 6-1, 6-2
4. #45 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Daniel Bednarczyk (IND) 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
5. #37 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Dimitrije Tasic (IND) 6-1, 6-4
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Chris Essick (IND) 6-4, 6-1
1. #16 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. #31 Sam Monette/Isade Juneau (IND) 8-6
2. #28 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Josh MacTaggert/Daniel Bednarczyk (IND) 8-6
3. #51 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Dimitrije Tasic/Chris Essick (IND) 8-6
Ohio State 18-2; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,6,5,2,1,4)
Official: Vince Solomon A-135