COLUMBUS, Ohio - The fifth-ranked Ohio State men's tennis team completed its regular-season home schedule vs. Michigan State Friday at the Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio, with a 6-1 victory. The 2012-13 class of Devin McCarthy, Connor Smith and Ille Van Engelen represented the Scarlet and Gray for the last time in a regular-season home match and were recognized post-match.
The Buckeyes opened the match up with three doubles wins. The first two duos off the courts were No. 38 Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka and No. 45 McCarthy and Van Engelen. Rola and Metka defeated Denis Bogatov and Aaron Pfister 8-2, while McCarthy and Van Engelen were 8-3 winners over Doug Zade and Drew Lied. Rounding out the doubles sweep, No. 18 Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith beat Gjis Landers and Harry Jadun 8-5.
Moving on to singles play, the Buckeyes continued winning and jumped out to a 5-0 lead. The first singles victory came from No. 82 Chris Diaz's 6-0, 6-1 defeat of Landers on court No. 4. Next, playing in the first position, No. 8 Kobelt won 6-2, 6-3 against Pfister. The match-clinching point came off a 6-2, 6-2 victory by Hunter Callahan over Will Davis on court No. 6. Smith, ranked 62nd, earned the fifth point for Ohio State with a defeat of Bogatov 6-4, 6-3. The lone Spartan victory came at five singles, where Jadun dealt Constantin Christ a 6-4, 6-4 defeat. Finally, No. 91 McCarthy finished up on court No. 2 with a 6-3, 6-4 victory against Lied.
Up Next: Michigan and B1G Tournament
In the conclusion of the regular-season, Ohio State will face off against No. 26 Michigan at noon Sunday in Ann Arbor, Mich. After the match vs. the Wolverines, the Buckeyes will be in action at the Big Ten Tournament April 25-28 at the Varsity Tennis Courts in Columbus, Ohio. Ohio State will play host to the conference tournament for the first time since 2002. The Buckeyes have won the conference tournament eight times - 1991, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
Tennis Match Results
Michigan State vs. Ohio State
April 19, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#5 Ohio State 6, #45 Michigan State 1
1. #8 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Aaron Pfister (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #91 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. #62 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. #82 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Gijs Landers (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Harry Jadun (MSU) def. Constantin Christ (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Will Davis (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. #18 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Gijs Landers/Harry Jadun (MSU) 8-5
2. #45 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Doug Zade/Drew Lied (MSU) 8-3
3. #38 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Denis Bogatov/Aaron Pfister (MSU) 8-2
Michigan State 11-12; National ranking #45
Ohio State 27-2; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,1,6,3,5,2)
Official: Vince Solomon T-3:00 A-130