Waves Open 2013 Dual Season With 7-0 Sweep vs. Pacific
MALIBU - The #7 Pepperdine men's tennis team opened the 2013 dual season with a 7-0 sweep versus the visiting Pacific Tigers. The Waves claimed the doubles point before winning all six singles contests.
The Waves opened the dual season with a solid performance in doubles. Sebastian Fanselow (Essen, Germany/Kaplan College Prep) and newcomer Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) sprinted out to a 5-0 lead before settling for an 8-2 triumph over Ben Mirkin and Denis Stolyarov.
Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand/Wellington College) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/ Fresno State) posted their first victory as a college pair, downing Alex Golding and Alex Hamilton 8-5.
Mousheg Hovhannisyan (North Hollywood, Calif./Continental Academy) and Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (Kihei, Hawaii/St. Anthony Junior-Senior HS) suffered a break of serve in the very first game, but rebounded to go ahead 6-4 before play was suspended.
The Pepperdine newcomers were dominant in their debut in blue and orange. Sarkissian, a junior college transfer, disposed of Mirkin 6-1, 6-0 to earn his first singles win at the Division I level. Alcantara, who competed for Fresno State prior to this season, did not allow a single game in his two set shutout against Stolyarov.
It was the Wave veteran, Fanselow, who clinched the dual for his team. The senior All-American downed Golding 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 1 match.
Although the dual was decided, the teams played out the remaining singles matches.
Tearney and Tanaka-Tamaki both won in straight sets, while Hovhannisyan rebounded from a loss in the opening frame to win 1-6, 7-6, 13-11 to secure the sweep.
Pepperdine will be tested on the road by #25 Washington at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 23. The Waves are back at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center on Jan. 26-27 when they entertain #32 Florida State, #45 Drake and #54 Denver in ITA Kick-Off Weekend action.
Pacific vs Pepperdine
Jan 20, 2013 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#7 Pepperdine 7, Pacific 0
1. #6 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Alex Golding (PAC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Ben Mirkin (PAC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Sem Verbeek (PAC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Daniel Alameh (PAC) 1-6, 7-6 (4), 13-11
6. Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (PEP) def. Trevor James (PAC) 6-1, 7-6
1. Finn Tearney/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Alex Golding/Alex Hamilton (PAC) 8-5
2. Sebastian Fanselow/Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Ben Mirkin/Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 8-2
3. Mousheg Hovhannisyan/Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (PEP) vs. Sem Verbeek/Daniel Alameh (PAC) 6-4, unfinished
Pepperdine 1-0; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,4,1,3,6,5)