MALIBU, Calif. – Facing its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far, the #7 Pepperdine men’s tennis team downed #17 Texas by a score of 6-1 on Sunday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. The Waves are now a perfect 5-0 on the season.
The Waves edged the Longhorns (4-3) in the doubles contest, winning two of the three matches. David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) and Mousheg Hovhannisyan (North Hollywood, Calif./Continental Academy) went up a break 6-3, before Lloyd Glasspool and Andrew Korinek won back-to-back games to comeback within one. The Waves broke serve once more, however, and Hovhannisyan held serve to win 8-5.
Mere moments later, Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) and Sebastian Fanselow (Essen, Germany/Kaplan College Prep) fell to David Holiner and Daniel Whitehead 8-4.
Although Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand/Wellington College) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) dropped behind 1-4 to Chris Camillone and Nick Naumann, the Wave duo went on a 5-1 run to take the lead. From there, Tearney and Alcantara held serve to win 8-6 and clinch the doubles point
Sarkissian gave Pepperdine a 2-0 lead after a convincing 6-2, 6-2 win over #31-ranked Soren Hess-Olesen.
Fanselow, ranked #6 in the ITA singles rankings, downed Sudanwa Sitaram 6-2, 6-3, while Sofaer nearly shut out Holiner with a 6-0, 6-1 win on court six to secure the team victory.
Naumann got the Longhorns on the board, defeating Hovhannisyan 6-4, 6-3.
In the final match to finish, Alcantara was in an evenly matched battle with Glasspool. After taking the first set 7-2 in the tiebreaker, the junior broke late to edge the Longhorn 6-4.
The Waves return to action on Feb. 15-18 when they travel to Seattle, Wash. to compete at the ITA National Indoor Collegiate Championship.
Texas vs Pepperdine
Feb 02, 2013 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#7 Pepperdine 6, #17 Texas 1
1. #6 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. #31 Soren Hess-Olesen (UT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Finn Tearney (PEP) def. #43 Daniel Whitehead (UT) 6-1, 6-2
4. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Lloyd Glasspool (UT) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
5. #98 Nick Naumann (UT) def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) 6-4, 6-3
6. David Sofaer (PEP) def. David Holiner (UT) 6-0, 6-1
1. Finn Tearney/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Chris Camillone/Nick Naumann (UT) 8-6
2. David Holiner/Daniel Whitehead (UT) def. Sebastian Fanselow/Alex Sarkissian (PEP) 8-4
3. Mousheg Hovhannisyan/David Sofaer (PEP) def. Lloyd Glasspool/Andrew Korinek (UT) 8-5
Texas 4-3; National ranking #17
Pepperdine 5-0; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,6,5,3)