SEATTLE – After a dominating first-round victory against #11 Florida, the #5 Pepperdine men’s tennis team would advance no further and fell to #4 Ohio State, 4-0, at the ITA National Indoor Championship.
It was the first loss of the 2013 season for the Waves, who are now 6-1. The Buckeyes improve to 10-1.
OSU took an early lead after sweeping the doubles point and continued to play strong in singles.
Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) lost to #30-ranked Conner Smith in the No. 4 match, followed by Mousheg Hovhannisyan’s (North Hollywood, Calif./Continental Academy) setback vs. #37 Chris Diaz at No. 5.
Despite a valiant effort, David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) suffered a narrow 7-5, 7-5 defeat to Hunter Callahan.
With the dual decided, play was suspended on the remaining courts.
Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand/Wellington College) was the lone Wave to win a set against Ohio State. The senior was in the midst of the third set against #2 Peter Kobelt when action was halted.
The Waves will play either #9 Duke or #1 Virginia in consolation action tomorrow. Additionally, Pepperdine will have the opportunity to avenge the loss to the Buckeyes on March 12, when they host OSU on the courts of the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center.
Pepperdine vs Ohio State
Feb 16, 2013 at Seattle, Wash.
(Nordstrom Tennis Center)
#4 Ohio State 4, #5 Pepperdine 0
1. #62 Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. #4 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) 6-3, 4-4, unfinished
2. #2 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. #105 Finn Tearney (PEP) 6-2, 2-6, 1-2, unfinished
3. Devin McCarthy (OSU) vs. #89 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) 7-6 (7-4), 2-2, unfinished
4. #30 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Francis Alcantara (PEP) 6-0, 6-3
5. #37 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) 6-1, 6-3
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. David Sofaer (PEP) 7-5, 7-5