Waves Chalk Win Over Seminoles at IMG Academy
BRADENTON, Fla. – The #7 Pepperdine men’s tennis team topped #29 Florida State, 5-2, for the second time in 2013 on Sunday afternoon at the IMG Academy. After claiming the doubles point, something the Seminoles denied the Waves of in the first meeting earlier this season, Pepperdine won four of the six singles matches to improve to 7-2 overall.
Pepperdine and FSU met back in January during the championship match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. Although the Seminoles won the doubles point to take the early lead, the Waves quickly took back control with a dominant effort in singles and prevailed 5-2.
The Waves struck first this time around and won the doubles point. Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand/Wellington College) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State), recently awarded ITA National Indoor Championship All-Tournament team honors, downed #52-ranked Andres Bucaro and Benjamin Lock by a score of 8-4.
It was the Pepperdine pair’s second-straight victory over a ranked opponent.
David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) and Mousheg Hovhannisyan (North Hollywood, Calif./Continental Academy) clinched the doubles point, recording an 8-3 decision versus Dominic Cotrone and Michael Rinaldi.
The momentum continued to roll in the Waves’ favor in singles. Alcantara was the first to finish, nearly shutting out Anderson Reed 6-1, 6-0 from the No. 4 spot in the lineup.
Sebastian Fanselow (Essen, Germany/Kaplan College Prep) claimed the first set against Cotrone, 6-1, before the Seminole defaulted in the second frame.
It was Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) who secured the dual for the Waves, downing Jordan Kelly-Houston in straight sets to put the team score at 4-0.
Although Florida State was able to put two points on the board, Sofaer tallied another one for Pepperdine with a three-set win against Blake Davis at No. 5.
The Waves’ Spring Break tour continues this week with stops at TCU (Feb. 26) and San Diego State (Feb. 28). The week concludes in La Jolla, Calif. for the Pacific Coast Doubles Championship on March 1-3.
Pepperdine vs Florida State
Feb 21, 2013 at Bradenton, Fla.
#7 Pepperdine 5, #29 Florida State 2
1. #4 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #99 Dominic Cotrone (FS) 6-1, 3-2, default
2. #89 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FS) 6-1, 6-4
3. Benjamin Lock (FS) def. #105 Finn Tearney (PEP) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
4. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Anderson Reed (FS) 6-1, 6-0
5. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Blake Davis (FS) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Michael Rinaldi (FS) def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) 6-2, 6-4
1. Francis Alcantara/Finn Tearney (PEP) def. #52 Andres Bucaro/Benjamin Lock (FS) 8-4
2. Jordan Kelly-Houston/Anderson Reed (FS) vs. Alex Sarkissian/Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) 6-5, unfinished
3. Mousheg Hovhannisyan/David Sofaer (PEP) def. Dominic Cotrone/Michael Rinaldi (FS) 8-3
Pepperdine 7-2; National ranking #7
Florida State 9-3; National ranking #29
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,1,2,6,5,3)