PORTLAND – The #10 Pepperdine men’s tennis team kept its perfect West Coast Conference record intact with a 5-1 victory over Portland this afternoon. The Waves are now 5-0 in the conference and 18-4 overall.
Pepperdine opened action with two new doubles pairings. Sebastian Fanselow (Essen, Germany/Kaplan College Prep) and Damian Gryzelko (London, England/Saddlebrook Preparatory School) got the Waves off and running with an 8-1 win. It was the first time this season the two have paired up with one another.
Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand/Wellington College) and Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC), playing together for just the second time in 2013, put away Ratan Gill and Alex Ferrero, 8-5, in the No. 1 match.
Mousheg Hovhannisyan (North Hollywood, Calif./Continental Academy) and David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS), who are a mainstay in the doubles lineup, did not finish their match with the point decided.
In singles, Sofaer, Fanselow and Sarkissian all won in straight sets. Although Sarkissian narrowly won the first frame 7-6 against Ferrero, the junior cruised to a 6-0 triumph in set two.
For Sofaer, it was his sixth-consecutive singles win. He improves to 14-4 overall in duals this season.
Tearney rebounded from a loss in the first set to win 7-5, 6-2 in the subsequent stanzas vs. Michel Hu Kwo.
The Waves play three matches next week, beginning with a road dual at Stanford on April 10. Next, Pepperdine hosts Saint Mary’s on April 12 at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. and finally returns to Malibu on April 13 to host San Diego.
Pepperdine vs Portland
Apr 06, 2013 at Portland, Ore.
(Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center)
#10 Pepperdine 5, Portland 1
1. #10 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. GILL, Ratan (POR) 6-4, 6-4
2. #77 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. HU KWO, Michel (POR) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
3. #94 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. FERRERO, Alex (POR) 7-6, 6-0
4. GUAY, Justin (POR) def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) 6-4, 7-6
5. David Sofaer (PEP) def. MARTIN, Jackson (POR) 6-3, 6-4
6. Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (PEP) vs. ANDREASEN, Kent (POR) No Played
1. Alex Sarkissian/Finn Tearney (PEP) def. GILL, Ratan/FERRERO, Alex (POR) 8-5
2. HU KWO, Michel/MARTIN, Jackson (POR) vs. Mousheg Hovhannisyan/David Sofaer (PEP) unfinished
3. Sebastian Fanselow/Damian Gryzelko (PEP) def. ANDREASEN, Kent/GUAY, Justin (POR) 8-1
Pepperdine 18-4, 5-0 WCC; National ranking #10
Portland 10-8, 2-3 WCC