MALIBU, Calif. – The #7 Pepperdine men’s tennis team won its third match in four days with a 5-2 triumph over #38-ranked San Diego on Saturday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center.
Pepperdine competed fiercely in doubles and chalked wins on courts one and two to take the point. Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand/Wellington College) and Alex Sarkissian (Glendale, Calif./Glendale CC) defeated Romain Kalaydjian and Uros Petronijevoc, before Sebastian Fanselow (Essen, Germany/Kaplan College Prep) and Francis Alcantara (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines/Fresno State) downed Clarke Spinosa and Thibaut Visy.
Mousheg Hovhannisyan (North Hollywood, Calif./Continental Academy) and David Sofaer (Bellevue Hill, Australia/Sydney Distance Education HS) were ahead 6-4 when play was abandoned.
Fanselow was the first off the courts in singles, putting away a 6-3, 6-2 decision over Visy. Simultaneously, Spinosa put the Toreros on the board with a win over Tearney from the No. 2 sport in the lineup.
Sofaer extended Pepperdine’s lead, 3-1, with a straight-set triumph against Ciaran Fitzgerald, while it was Sarkissian who put the Waves out of reach. The junior battled his way to a 7-6, 6-3 win against Petronijevoc.
The Waves tallied their fifth and final point of the day, courtesy of Hovhannisyan. The senior trailed 1-5 in the opening stanza versus Pugliese, but fought back to win 7-6 – including a 7-0 performance in the tiebreaker. Hovhannisyan rode the momentum to a 6-0 triumph in set two.
The Waves gear up for a showdown with #2-ranked UCLA on Monday at 3 p.m. before wrapping up the regular season at home on April 19 vs. #39 BYU.
Tennis Match Results
San Diego vs Pepperdine
Apr 13, 2013 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#7 Pepperdine 5, #38 San Diego 2
1. #16 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Thibaut Visy (USD) 6-3, 6-2
2. #87 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. #88 Finn Tearney (PEP) 6-0, 6-
3. Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. #110 Romain Kalaydjian (USD) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
4. Uros Petronijevoc (USD) def. #80 Francis Alcantara (PEP) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 3-2, retired
5. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Victor Pugliese (USD) 7-6 (7-0), 6-0
6. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) 6-2, 6-3
1. Sebastian Fanselow/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Clarke Spinosa/Thibaut Visy (USD) 8-5
2. Alex Sarkissian/Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Romain Kalaydjian/Uros Petronijevoc (USD) 8-4
3. Mousheg Hovhannisyan/David Sofaer (PEP) vs. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Victor Pugliese (USD) 6-4, unfinished
San Diego 15-8, 5-2; National ranking #38
Pepperdine 21-4, 7-0 WCC; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,2,6,3,5,4)