Unbeaten Stanford Women Into NCAA Round of 16
STANFORD, Calif.- Another round, another dominating outing for No. 2 Stanford.
The Cardinal looked crisp again on Sunday afternoon, this time posting a 4-0 shutout of No. 27 Pepperdine during the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
With the win, Stanford punched its ticket to next weekend's NCAA Championships round of 16. The Cardinal will host Northwestern on Friday, May 20, at 6 p.m., and attempt to defend its 2010 NCAA team title.
Making its 30th consecutive postseason appearance, the Cardinal (25-0, 8-0 Pac-10) is the only unbeaten team in Division I and has won 44 consecutive contests overall dating back to its last loss, a 6-1 setback at UCLA on Feb. 26, 2010.
It was a familiar outcome for Stanford, which has now won 181 dual matches in a row (147 regular season, 34 NCAA Tournament) on its home court- a streak that spans more than 12 years and is the longest of any sport in Division I athletics. The Cardinal has not suffered a home loss since Feb. 27, 1999, when No. 4 California pulled a 5-4 upset.
Sunday's 11 a.m. start was delayed to 12:15 p.m. because of rain, with both teams waiting through another rain delay midway through doubles.
The tone was established early in doubles, with Stanford picking up victories on courts one and three for a 1-0 lead.
Veronica Li coasted to a 6-1, 6-1 triumph at the No. 5 spot, extending Stanford's lead to 2-0.
Minutes after Li's win, Hilary Barte booked a 6-2, 6-1 victory at the top spot of the lineup for a 3-0 lead.
Nicole Gibbs made it official with a 6-2, 6-3 win at the No. 3 position, securing the match.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No. 2 Stanford 4, No. 27 Pepperdine 0
(1) No. 3 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. No. 53 Granillo/Issara (PEPP) 8-5
(2) Gibbs/Li (STAN) led Bhargava/Moore (PEPP) 7-3, aban.
(3) McVeigh/Tan (STAN) d. Colffer/Walters (PEPP) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3
(1) No. 3 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Arianna Colffer (PEPP) 6-2, 6-1
(2) No. 22 Mallory Burdette (STAN) led No. 122 Anamika Bhargava (PEPP) 6-4, 4-2, aban.
(3) No. 18 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) d. Ale Granillo (PEPP) 6-2, 6-3
(4) No. 43 Stacey Tan (STAN) led Khunpak Issara (PEPP) 7-6 (3), 2-0, aban.
(5) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Megan Moore (PEPP) 6-1, 6-1
(6) Ali Walters (PEPP) led Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) 6-3, 2-2, aban.
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 3
by Brian Risso, Athletics Communications/Media Relations. Special thanks to Don Feria.