STANFORD, Calif.- No. 12 Stanford easily handled unranked Miami (OH) 4-0 on Friday afternoon in the first round of the 2013 NCAA Tournament at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Making its 32nd consecutive postseason appearance, the Cardinal (17-4, 8-2 Pac-12) overwhelmed the RedHawks (13-13, 7-1 MAC), who were competing in the NCAA Tournament for only the third time in school history.
Stanford locked up the doubles point for a 1-0 advantage, paced by an 8-0 victory from its No. 2 duo of Stacey Tan and Ellen Tsay.
Tan was also first off the court in singles, cruising past Christine Guerrazzi 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 4 spot for a 2-0 lead.
Nicole Gibbs looked very sharp at the No. 1 position, putting away Nimisha Mohan 6-1, 6-0.
The clincher came at the No. 5 spot from Ellen Tsay, who tallied her 30th victory of the year with a 6-0, 6-1 decision of Ana Rajkovic.
Stanford will next face No. 22 Rice, a 4-3 winner over No. 53 Pepperdine earlier on Friday, in the second round on Saturday at 1 p.m. A berth in next weekend's NCAA Championships is on the line.
No. 12 Stanford 4, Miami (OH) 0
1) No. 8 Ahn/Gibbs (STAN) d. Guerrazzi/Rajkovic (M) 8-2
2) No. 28 Tan/Tsay (STAN) d. Mohan/Thurman (M-OH) 8-0
3) Dillon/Hardebeck (STAN) vs. Costea/Raymond (M-OH) abandoned
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1) No. 13 Nicole Gibbs (STAN d. Nimisha Mohan (M-OH) 6-1, 6-0
2) No. 25 Kristie Ahn (STAN) vs. Alix Thurman (M-OH) abandoned
3) No. 14 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) vs. Christiana Raymond (M-OH) abandoned
4) No. 103 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Christine Guerrazzi (M-OH) 6-0, 6-1
5) No. 92 Ellen Tsay (STAN) d. Ana Rajkovic (M-OH) 6-0, 6-1
6) Natalie Dillon (STAN) vs. Ramona Costea (M-OH) abandoned
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5