Wake Forest University Team Page
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest defeated 16th-ranked Florida State in Winston-Salem for the first time in eight years with a 4-2 upset, thanks in part to sophomore Iain Atkinson who clinched the win after a thrilling second set rally. Wake Forest now moves to second place in the ACC with a 16-6, 6-1 record. FSU is 15-7, 5-2.
"This win was really huge for us," senior captain Cory Parr said.
"There were a lot of close matches and we were able to pull it out. It gives a lot of confidence going into the final stretch of the season because there will be a lot more close matches to come."
Atkinson, out of Washington, England, opened the game with a stellar doubles performance with Carlos Salmon. The duo found themselves in the deciding match facing a 7-6 deficit. The tandem tied FSU's Drew Bailey and Maciek Sykut at 8-all and forced some poor Seminole shots to take the 9-8 (5) victory and claim the doubles point.
Steven Forman was the first to finish singles and the only Demon Deacon to claim a win in two sets, topping 49th-ranked Clint Bowles 6-4, 7-5. The win was Forman's second over a ranked singles opponent in ACC play.
David Hopkins had several rallies at No. 4, but was unable to get ahead of Vahid Mirzadeh and dropped a 6-4, 6-3 match to give FSU its first score of the night.
21st-ranked Cory Parr
shined at No. 1 singles, where he faced 11th-ranked Jean-Yves Aubone. Parr fell 6-2 in the opening set, but claimed a 6-3 win in the second set. After falling behind 5-2 in the final set, Parr fired back to take a 7-5 upset win. The win was Parr's second consecutive Top-15 victory.
Atkinson clinched the victory at No. 5, where he claimed a 2-6, 7-5, 6-3 over Chris Cloer.
"Iain was down a match point in the second set and fought back," Wake Forest head coach Jeff Zinn said.
"He's really been an inspiration to whole team. He always fights back, he's never out of it."
Jon Wolff fell in another close 3-set match at No. 3 and Jason Morgenstern held a 7-5 advantage over Drew Bailey when the match was called.
Wake Forest will continue play on Sunday, hosting Miami at 12 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Florida State vs Wake Forest
Apr 03, 2009 at Winston-Salem, N.C.
#28 Wake Forest 4, #17 Florida State 2
1. #21 Cory Parr (WF) def. #11 Jean-Yves Aubone (FSU) 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Steve Forman (WF) def. #49 Clint Bowles (FSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Maciek Sykut (FSU) def. Jonathan Wolff (WF) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) def. David Hopkins (WF) 6-4, 6-3
5. Iain Atkinson (WF) def. Chris Cloer (FSU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
6. Jason Morgenstern (WF) vs. Drew Bailey (FSU) 7-5, unfinished
1. #25 Jean-Yves Aubone/Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) def. #1 Steve Forman/Cory Parr (WF) 8-
2. Iain Atkinson/Carlos Salmon (WF) def. Drew Bailey/Maciek Sykut (FSU) 9-8 (5)
3. Jonathan Wolff/David Hopkins (WF) def. Clint Bowles/Chris Reiman (FSU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,4,1,5,3)
- www.WakeForestSports.com -