Clemson University Team Page
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - The 15th-seeded Clemson women's tennis team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the tenth straight season after defeating Wichita State, 4-0, on Saturday in Fayetteville, AR. The teams played in breezy conditions in the mid-to-upper 50s at the Billingsley Tennis Center on the University of Arkansas campus.
The Tigers will play the winner of the Arkansas - Sacramento State match, which takes place Saturday afternoon.
Clemson (20-10) improved to 14-0 on the season when claiming the doubles point, and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the tenth straight season. The Tigers will take aim at a fifth straight Sweet 16 appearance on Sunday at 2:00 pm.
The Tigers now have a 20-9 record in the NCAA tournament in the past ten seasons, which includes six trips to the Sweet 16. This is the 13th time in school history that the program has reached 20 wins.
Clemson wasted no time getting on the board, as sixth-ranked Josipa Bek and Keri Wong won, 8-1 at flight one over Veronika Blaskova and Montse Blasco Fernandez. It was the pair's 29th win together this season, and moved Bek into a tie with Ina Hadziselimovic with a school-record 35 doubles wins in a season. Wong is not far behind, recording her 34th of the season.
Klara Vyskocilova and Caroline Magnusson won, 8-1 at flight three doubles to clinch the point, and improve to 3-2 as a tandem this season.
Clemson's freshmen embraced their first NCAA appearances, as Masha Belaya won 6-2, 6-1 at flight five to give Clemson the 2-0 lead. Vyskocilova later clinched the match with her 20th win of the season, a 6-2, 6-3 win at flight three singles.
Junior Keri Wong was Clemson's other winner, claiming her 25th singles win of the season on her way to a 6-1, 6-1 win at flight two.
The Tigers will return to action on Sunday as they play for a bid to the Sweet 16 in Palo Alto, CA.
(15) Clemson (20-10) def. Wichita St. (15-12), 4-0
May 14, 2011 - NCAA Tournament 1st Round - Fayetteville, AR
1. #6 Bek/Wong (CU) def. Fernandez/Blaskova (WSU), 8-1
2. Belaya/Henry (CU) v. Budiharto/Zotter (WSU), 5-4 DNF
3. Magnusson/Vyskocilova (CU) def. Damaschin/Venitinque (WSU), 8-1
Order of Finish: 1,3
1. #11 Josipa Bek (CU) led Lutfiana Budiharto (WSU), 7-5, 3-1, DNF
2. #48 Keri Wong (CU) def. Raphaela Zotter (WSU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Klara Vyskocilova (CU) def. Veronika Blaskova (WSU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Delia Damaschin (WSU) led #114 Nelly Ciolkowski (CU), 6-2, 2-3 DNF
5. Maria Belaya (CU) def. Carla Venticinque (WSU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Caroline Magnusson (CU) led Montse Blasco Fernandez (WSU), 7-6(2), 0-0 DNF
Order of Finish: 5,2,3*