Arizona State University Team Page
ATLANTA, Ga.—The No. 17 Arizona State women’s tennis (15-7) team fell to the 16th-ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (15-10), 4-1, today in Atlanta, Ga. to close out the 2010-11 season of competition.
The Sun Devils, who had played what head coach Sheila McInerney described as, “a knock-down, drag-out” match the day before, started out the competition battling for the double point. Georgia Tech’s 18th-ranked doubles pair of Lilley/O’Neill defeated ASU’s No. 25 Hein/McKenna 8-4, while Blau/Kilborn of GT also dropped ASU’s No. 67 Brown/Simmons, 8-6.
In singles competition, Sun Devil Hannah James grabbed the first point for Arizona State defeating Lynn Blau, 6-2, 6-3 to even up the match at 1-1. But Georgia Tech continued to come out firing, as the Yellow Jackets took the subsequent singles matches in the No. 1, No. 5, and No. 6 spots. The matches played between All-American Jacqueline Cako and Micaela Hein were left unfinished once Georgia Tech reached four points to win the match.
The Sun Devils finish the 2010-11 season with 15-7 record, a fourth-place finish in the Pac-10 and a 24th-consecutive NCAA Championship bid.
#16 Georgia Tech 4, #17 Arizona State 1
May 15, 2011 at Atlanta, Ga.
1. #32 Jillian O'Neill (GT) def. #19 Kelcy McKenna (ASU) 6-3, 6-3
2. #12 Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. #98 Caroline Lilley (GT) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
3. #70 Micaela Hein (ASU) def. #65 Viet Ha Ngo (GT) 3-6, 5-4, unfinished
4. Hannah James (ASU) def. Lynn Blau (GT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Sasha Krupina (GT) def. Michelle Brycki (ASU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Sianna Simmons (ASU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
1. #18 Caroline Lilley/Jillian O'Neill (GT) def. #25 Micaela Hein/Kelcy McKenna (ASU) 8-4
2. Lynn Blau/Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. #67 Ashlee Brown/Sianna Simmons (ASU) 8-6
3. Sasha Krupina/Viet Ha Ngo (GT) vs. Michelle Brycki/Hannah James (ASU) 7-5, unfinished
Arizona State 15-6; National ranking #17
Georgia Tech 14-10; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,1,5,6)
NCAA Tennis Tournament - Second Round