North Carolina Team Page
TULSA, OKLA. – The North Carolina men’s tennis team, ranked 20th nationally, fell to sixth-ranked Stanford 5-1 Saturday afternoon in the Tar Heels’ season opener at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center. Stanford moved to 2-0 with the victory.
The Tar Heels lost a close doubles point to the Cardinal on Saturday, dropping matches at #1 and #3 by 8-6 scores. Carolina tied the match at 1-1 with a win at #3 singles by Esben Hess-Olesen over Denis Lin 6-1, 6-2.
Stanford then swept the next four singles matches, all in straight sets to defeat the Tar Heels. The match was clinched at #5 singles as Robert Stineman downed UNC freshman Oystein Steiro 6-4, 6-3.
Carolina will look to bounce back on Sunday when the Tar Heels meet 23rd-ranked Tulsa at 1 p.m. EST at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Tulsa.
No. 6 Stanford 5, No. 20 North Carolina 1
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Ryan Thacher and John Morrissey (SU) d. Brennan Boyajian and Oystein Steiro (UNC), 8-6
2. Joey Burkhardt and Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) d. Denis Lin and Walker Kehrer (SU), 8-5
3. Matt Kandath and Robert Stineman (SU) d. Jose Hernandez and Zach Hunter (UNC), 8-6
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: 3, 1, 6, 5, 2
1. #37 Ryan Thacher (SU) d. #30 Jose Hernandez (UNC), 6-0, 6-3
2. #75 Matt Kandath (SU) d. Brennan Boyajian (UNC), 7-5, 6-4
3. Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) d. Denis Lin (SU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Joey Burkhardt (UNC) led John Mrrissey (SU), 7-5, 2-4, DNF
5. Robert Stineman (SU) d. Oystein Steiro (UNC), 6-4, 6-3
6. Daniel Ho (SU) d. William Parker (UNC), 6-1, 6-3
Records: North Carolina 0-1, Stanford 2-0