UCLA Team Page
LOS ANGELES - The top-ranked UCLA women's tennis team officially began its quest for the 2012 national title on Friday afternoon, defeating Eastern Kentucky, 4-0 in an NCAA First Round match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins (22-2) advance to Saturday's second round and will take on Long Beach State (19-5) at 3:00 p.m. The 49ers were 4-0 winners over Arkansas earlier in the day.
With Friday's win, UCLA improved to 26-1 all-time in NCAA Regional matches. The Bruins began the day by dominating the doubles action, as UCLA didn't surrender a single game in its two victories, winning 8-0 at both court Nos. 2 and 3 to claim the point. UCLA's Robin Anderson and Skylar Morton were up 7-1 at court No. 1 when play was suspended.
All three of the Bruins' singles wins came from the back three courts, with Morton, Chanelle Van Nguyen and Carling Seguso all securing straight-set victories. With UCLA leading the match 3-0, Seguso got the clinching win for the Bruins when she downed Marcela Jimenez, 6-2, 6-2 at court No. 6.
Saturday will mark the first meeting this season between UCLA and Long Beach State. The winner of the contest advances to next week's NCAA Round of 16 in Athens, Ga.
#1 UCLA 4, Eastern Kentucky 0
May 11, 2012 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #6 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) vs. Gerritsen/Labeja (EKU) 7-1, unfinished
2. #9 Courtney Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) def. Oscoz/Poffo (EKU) 8-0
3. Seguso/Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Faouzi/Carmen Rodriguez (EKU) 8-0
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #4 Robin Anderson (UCLA) vs. Amandine Faouzi (EKU) 6-0, 4-0, unfinished
2. #98 McCall Jones (UCLA) vs. Kristina Labeja (EKU) 6-3, 4-0, unfinished
3. #73 Pamela Montez (UCLA) vs. Melissa Gerritsen (EKU) 6-1, 3-3, unfinished
4. #124 Skylar Morton (UCLA) def. Milena Poffo (EKU) 6-1, 6-1
5. #119 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Saioa Oscoz (EKU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Marcela Jimenez (EKU) 6-2, 6-2
Eastern Kentucky 18-7
UCLA 22-2; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,5,6)