Max Manthou won the deciding match for the Huskies.
University of Washington Team Page
TULSA, Okla. -- Almost four hours after play began, Max Manthou capped a Washington comeback as the Dawgs defeated Tulsa on its home court, 4-3. After being dominated in doubles, the Dawgs fought hard in singles, scraping out a huge early-season win over a top opponent.
Manthou played an epic match against Grant Ive, winning 11-9 in a third-set tiebreak to earn the win for Washington. Manthou took care of business in the first set, winning 6-2, but dropped the second set, 6-3. In set three, Manthou and Ive traded rallies, taking the final set into a tiebreak until Manthou finally won the decisive point with his teammates cheering him on.
Also winning singles matches were Kyle McMorrow, Viktor Farkas and Jeff Hawke. McMorrow won No. 79 of his career to move into a tie for eighth all-time at Washington. He defeated No. 34 Japie De Klerk of Tulsa, 7-6, 6-0.
Farkas, playing at No. 3 singles also disposed of a ranked opponent, defeating No. 68 Alejandro Espejo, 6-2, 6-2. Finally, Jeff Hawke defeated Tristan Jackson, 6-2, 3-6, 6-1, playing at No. 6 singles.
Tulsa earned its points in singles by wins at No.2 and No. 5. Clifford Marsland defeated Emmett Egger, 6-2, 6-2, while Carlos Bautista beat Nicholas Kamisar, 6-3, 7-5.
The Dawgs began by dropping the doubles point to Tulsa as the Golden Hurricane's top two teams defeated their UW counterparts. Marsland and Espejo defeated Marton Bots and McMorrow, 8-3, followed by Ive and Jackson beating Egger and Manthou, 8-3.
In the final doubles match de Klerk and Bautista beat Jeff Hawke and Viktor Farkas, 8-3.
Washington will be back at it tomorrow when it faces No. 23 Texas back at the Case Tennis Center. The Dawgs hope to finish a 2-0 weekend against another tough opponent. First serve is set for noon Pacific Time on Saturday.
Washington Men's Tennis
Case Tennis Center - Tulsa, Okla.
January 18, 2013
No. 17 Tulsa 3, No. 25 Washington 3
1. Clifford Marsland/Alejandro Espejo def. Marton Bots/Kyle McMorrow, 8-3
2. Grant Ive/Tristan Jackson def. Emmett Esser/Max Manthou, 8-3
3. Japie De Klerk/Carlos Bautista led Jeff Hawke/Viktor Farkas, 6-3
1. Kyle McMorrow d. No. 34 Japie De Klerk, 7-6, 6-0.
2. Clifford Marsland vs. Emmett Egger, 6-2, 6-2.
3. Viktor Farkas d. No. 68 Alejandro Espejo, 7-5, 6-3.
4. Max Manthou d. Grant Ive, 6-2, 6-3, 7-6 (11-9).
5. Carlos Bautista vs. Nicholas Kamisar, 6-3, 7-5/.
6. Jeff Hawke d. Tristan Jackson, 6-2, 3-6, 6-1.