Northwestern University Team Page
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Northwestern's women's tennis team opened up the Virginia Winter Invitational and 2013 with a strong performance on Saturday.
Facing off against the host and 11th-ranked Cavaliers, the 13th-ranked Wildcats won six of seven singles matches and one of three doubles matches.
NU's victory in doubles came at No. 1 as the 42nd-ranked duo of Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton rolled past the nation's fifth-ranked team of Erin Vierra and Maci Epstein, 8-2.
The Wildcats were thoroughly impressive in singles action, notching three wins over individuals ranked in the top 50 in the nation. At No. 1 singles, 67th-ranked Kate Turvy set the tone with an impressive straight-set victory over fourth-ranked Julia Elbaba, 6-3, 7-6.
In addition, Belinda Niu cruised past 43rd-ranked Stephanie Nauta at No. 3, winning 6-1, 6-4, while Brittany Wowchuk was also a victor over a ranked foe, defeating 44th-ranked Li Xi, 6-3, 7-6 at the No. 4 position.
Also victorious for Northwestern were Veronica Corning, a 7-5, 0-6, 6-4 winner over Epstein at No. 2, Hamilton, who rallied for a 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 win over Maria Fuccillo at No. 6, and freshman Alicia Barnett who cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win over Hana Tomljanovic at No. 7.
The Wildcats continue play at the invite on Sunday as it squares off against No. 34 Utah.
#13 Northwestern at #11 Virginia
1. No. 42 Nida Hamilton/Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. No. 5 Erin Vierra/Maci Epstein (UVA), 8-2
2. No. 10 Li Xi/Stephanie Nauta (UVA) def. Veronica Corning/Belinda Niu (NU), 8-3
3. Julia Elbaba/Maria Fuccillo (UVA) def. Brittany Wowchuk/Kate Turvy (NU), 8-3
1. No. 67 Kate Turvy (NU) def. No. 4 Julia Elbaba (UVA), 6-3, 7-6
2. Veronica Corning (NU) def. Maci Epstein (UVA), 7-5, 0-6, 6-4
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. No. 43 Stephanie Nauta (UVA), 6-1, 6-4
4. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. No. 44 Li Xi (UVA), 6-3, 7-6
5. Erin Vierra (UVA) def. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Maria Fuccillo (UVA), 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
7. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Hana Tomljanovic (UVA), 6-0, 6-1