Northwestern University Team Page
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Northwestern's women's tennis continued its strong start to the Virginia Winter Invitational on Sunday as the 13th-ranked Wildcats squared off against No. 34 Utah.
One day after winning six of seven singles matches as well as an upset win at No. 1 doubles, the 'Cats won all three doubles matches and five of six matches against the Utes.
Ranked 42nd, the No. 1 doubles team of Nida Hamilton and Linda Abu Mushrefova pulled off its second upset in as many days, defeating the 23rd-ranked duo of Paige Miles and Tereza Bekerova, 8-7. Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett paired to post an 8-5 win at No. 2, while Belinda Niu and Kate Turvy were victorious, 8-4, at No. 3.
After defeating the fourth-ranked player in the nation on Saturday, Turvy defeated another ranked foe on Sunday, besting No. 72 Tereza Bekerova, 6-3, 6-2. Corning worked three sets at No. 3 in defeating 123rd-ranked Callie Craig, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.
The 'Cats were also victorious at No. 4 where Alicia Barnett notched a 6-2, 6-1 win, No. 5 where Hamilton won 6-4, 6-3 and No. 6 where Abu Mushrefova earned a 6-1, 6-3 victory.
Northwestern concludes action at the UVa Winter Invite on Monday when it squares off against No. 23 Tennessee.
1. No. 42 Nida Hamilton / Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. No. 23 Paige Miles / Tereza Bekerova (Utah) 8-7
2. Veronica Corning / Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Natasha Smith / Elena Najera-Salas (Utah) 8-5
3. Belinda Niu / Kate Turvy (NU) def. Callie Craig / Sarah Pham (Utah) 8-4
1. No. 67 Kate Turvy (NU) def. No. 72 Tereza Bekerova (Utah) 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 103 Sarah Pham (Utah) def. Belinda Niu (NU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Veronica Corning (NU) vs. No. 123 Callie Craig (Utah) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
4. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Elena Najera-Salas (Utah) 6-2, 6-1
5. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Lucia Kovarcikova (Utah) 6-4, 6-3
6. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Paige Miles (Utah) 6-1, 6-3