LOS ANGELES - The second-ranked UCLA women's tennis team notched a 5-2 victory over UC Irvine on Friday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, improving the team's record to 3-0 on the season.
With sophomore Robin Anderson not in the singles lineup on Friday, freshman Kyle McPhillips stepped in and played her first match at the No. 1 position for the Bruins, dispatching of Kristina Smith, 6-4, 6-4. McPhillips, from Willoughby, Ohio, is currently ranked No. 47 nationally in singles play.
Other straight-set winners for UCLA on the day were Chanelle Van Nguyen (Court No. 2), Kaitlin Ray (court No. 3) and Courtney Dolehide (court No. 5).
UC Irvine's two points on the day came at court Nos. 4 and 6.
UCLA began Friday's match by posting wins at all three doubles positions to claim the one point awarded for doubles play.
Next up for the Bruins is the USTA/ITA National Team Indoors, Feb. 8-11 in Charlottesville, Va.
#2 UCLA 6, #65 UC Irvine 1
Feb 01, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #16 Robin Anderson/Morton (UCLA) def. Gong/Smith (UCI) 8-2
2. Dolehide/Harrison (UCLA) def. Mamiit/Stadfelt (UCI) 8-4
3. McPhillips/Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Facey/Brooke Schweyer (UCI) 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #47 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Kristina Smith (UCI) 6-4, 6-4
2. Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Marivick Mamiit (UCI) 7-5, 6-0
3. #38 Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Fran Goettsching (UCI) 6-1, 7-5
4. Sarah Gong (UCI) def. Catherine Harrison (UCLA) 3-6, 6-3, (10-7)
5. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Ali Facey (UCI) 6-2, 6-3
6. Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) def. Skylar Morton (UCLA) 6-3, 6-1
UC Irvine 2-3; National ranking #65
UCLA 3-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,5,3,2,1,4)