Vanderbilt University Team Page
ATLANTA – No. 21 Vanderbilt won its fourth-straight match Saturday afternoon following a 6-1 win at No. 22 Georgia Tech at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
The Commodores are now 4-0 to begin the season with all four wins coming over top 30 teams. Georgia Tech dropped to 2-2 with the loss.
Lauren Mira, playing in the No. 1 position, improved her dual record to 6-1 after an impressive win over Georgia Tech’s No. 39 Elizabeth Kilborn, 6-3, 7-5. Mira, a Baton Rouge, La., native is playing her best tennis of the season in helping lead the Commodores to a 4-0 start.
Mira and Courtney Colton started the day in dominating fashion winning in No. 1 doubles. The Vandy duo trailed 2-1, before winning the next seven games to win, 8-2, over Kilborn and Alex Anghelescu.
Frances Altick and Georgina Sellyn then delivered with a win in No. 3 doubles over Muriel Wacker and Natasha Prokhnevska. Altick and Sellyn faced a similar deficit to that of Colton and Mira early in their match. Trailing 2-1, the two freshmen went on to win, 8-3.
In No. 2 doubles, Ashleigh Antal and Marie Casares fell for the first time in dual competition this season. Megan Kurey and Kendal Woodard were able to come away with the win, 8-4, for the Yellow Jackets.
Leading 1-0 after doubles, Vanderbilt got out to a quick start in singles action, as Altick defeated Kurey in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 4 position. Casares then registered a win in No. 3 singles to give Vanderbilt a 3-0 lead. The Quito, Ecuador, native defeated (Alex) Anghelescu, 6-3, 6-4.
Antal sealed the win for Vanderbilt in No. 6 singles. The sophomore defeated (Muriel) Wacker, 7-6, 6-4.
After dropping the first set (3-6), (Georgina) Sellyn battled back to win the second and third sets over (Natasha) Prokhnevska, 7-5, 6-2. Sellyn is now 5-1 in dual action and 9-2 overall in her first season at Vanderbilt.
In the longest match of the day, Colton fell to (Kendal) Woodard, 6-2, 5-7, 4-6.
Vanderbilt heads to Charlottesville, Va., for the 2013 ITA National Team Indoors Championship Feb. 8-11. The University of Virginia is the host school.
1. Lauren Mira (Vanderbilt) def. No. 39 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) 6-3, 7-5
2. Kendal Woodard (GT) def. No. 102 Courtney Colton (Vandy) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. No. 91 Marie Casares (Vanderbilt) def. Alex Anghelescu (GT) 6-3, 6-4
4. No. 115 Frances Altick (Vanderbilt) def. Megan Kurey (GT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Georgina Sellyn (Vanderbilt) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Ashleigh Antal (Vanderbilt) def. Muriel Wacker (GT) 7-6, 6-4
1. Colton/Mira (Vanderbilt) def. Kilborn/Anghelescu (GT) 8-2
2. Kurey/Woodard (GT) def. Antal/Casares (Vanderbilt) 8-4
3. Altick/Sellyn (Vanderbilt) def. Wacker/Prokhnevska (GT) 8-3