Bruin men's tennis team moves to 4-0 on the year.
UCLA Team Page
LOS ANGELES - The No. 3 UCLA men's tennis team cruised to victory in a non-conference showdown with Fresno State on Saturday, registering a 7-0 win over the Bulldogs at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins move to 4-0 on the season, while the Bulldogs see their record fall to 2-4 overall.
With Marcos Giron sitting out of singles action on Saturday, sophomore Dennis Novikov played at the No. 1 position for the first time this season, downing Reid deLaubenfels, 6-2, 6-2. It was just one of six straight-set victories for the Bruins on the afternoon.
Playing back at court No. 6, redshirt freshman Ryoto Tachi got his first taste of dual-match action, notching a 6-4, 7-6(2) win over Fresno State's Sam MacNeil. Tachi joined the team in January of 2012 and redshirted the remainder of the spring season.
Other straight-set winners for UCLA on the day included Adrien Puget, Dennis Mkrtchian, Clay Thompson and Karue Sell.
UCLA is set to host three dual matches at the LATC next week beginning with San Diego on Tuesday at 2:00 p.m. The Bruins will then on Stanford on Friday at 1:30 p.m. and Cal on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
#3 UCLA 7, #70 Fresno State 0
Feb 02, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. Marcos Giron/Novikov (UCLA) vs. deLaubenfels/Papic (FSU) 6-4, unfinished
2. Puget/Sell (UCLA) def. Fritz/Kartik Nakireddi (FSU) 8-3
3. Mkrtchian/Thompson (UCLA) def. MacNeil/Quiroz (FSU) 8-4
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. #41 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Nikolas Papic (FSU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Felipe Fritz (FSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Ryoto Tachi (UCLA) def. Sam MacNeil (FSU) 6-4, 7-6(2)
Fresno State 2-4; National ranking #70
UCLA 4-0; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,5,1,4,2,6)