Univ. of Tulsa Team Page
NORMAN, Okla. - The Tulsa men's tennis team, ranked No. 17 in the nation, dropped a 5-1 decision to No. 8 Oklahoma Friday night at the Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavillion.
Picking up the lone win for the Golden Hurricane was No. 69 Alejandro Espejo, who defeated No. 71-ranked Dane Webb 6-3, 7-6 at No. 3 singles.
TU fell behind after losing the doubles point to OU. Junior Japie De Klerk and freshman Carlos Bautista fell at No. 3 singles by a count of 8-2 to Peerakit Sirbutwong and Leonard Stakhovsky. The senior duo of Tristan Jackson and Grant Ive defeated Axel Alvarez and Guillermo Alcorta, 8-3 at No. 2 doubles to even the score at 1-1, but junior Cliford Marsland and Espejo fell to Costin Paval and Dane Webb, ranked No. 12 in the nation, by a score of 8-4.
Ive fell to Alvarez at No. 4 singles 6-1, 6-2 to give the Sooners a 2-0 lead. Stakhovsky defeated Bautista at No. 5 singles 6-3, 6-3 and Sirbutwong defeated Jackson 6-3, 6-3 at No. 6 singles to clinch the match for OU.
Espejo earned his win at No. 3 singles before De Klerk feel to Paval by a score of 6-2, 6-4, at No. 2 singles. The No. 1 singles match between Alcorta and Marsland was halted after Marsland took the first set 6-4 and Alcorta won the second frame 6-3. .
The Golden Hurricane will face No. 68 TCU in a 12 pm match on Sunday at the Michael D. Case tennis Center
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
Tulsa vs Oklahoma
Feb 08, 2013 at Norman, Okla (Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavillion)
#8 Oklahoma 5, #17 Tulsa 1
1. #36 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) vs. Clifford Marsland (TLS) 4-6, 6-3, unfinished
2. #103 Costin Paval (OU) def. #34 Japie De Klerk (TLS) 6-2, 6-4
3. #69 Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. #71 Dane Webb (OU) 6-2, 7-6
4. Axel Alvarez (OU) def. Grant Ive (TLS) 6-1, 6-2
5. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) def. Carlos Bautista (TLS) 6-3, 6-3
6. Peerakit Sirbutwong (OU) def. Tristan Jackson (TLS) 6-3, 6-3
1. #12 Costin Paval/Dane Webb (OU) def. Alejandro Espejo/Clifford Marsland (TLS) 8-4
2. Tristan Jackson/Grant Ive (TLS) def. #32 Axel Alvarez/Guillermo Alcorta (OU) 8-3
3. Peerakit Sirbutwong/Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) def. Japie De Klerk/Carlos Bautista (TLS) 8-2
Tulsa 3-4; National ranking #17 Oklahoma 5-1; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,5,6,3,2)