LOS ANGELES - The No. 2 USC men's tennis team notched its ninth victory of the year on Saturday afternoon at Marks Stadium as they defeated No. 19 Stanford, 6-1, in a non-conference match. With the win the Trojans advance to a perfect 9-0 on the season, while the Cardinal fall to 3-4.
For the second-straight match in a row, sophomore Roberto Quiroz clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-2 singles match over Stanford's Maciek Romanowicz.
In doubles, the Trojans took the lead on courts one and two and never looked back, as the duo of freshman Max de Vroome and Quiroz did not drop a set to the Cardinal's Jamin Ball/Trey Strobel on No. 2, taking the victory, 8-0. On court one, sophomore Yannick Hanfmann and senior Ray Sarmiento defeated Stanford's Matt Kandath/John Morrissey, 8-2 to clinch the doubles point for Troy.
In singles, #84 Hanfmann made quick work of Kandath, defeating the senior, 6-1, 6-1 on court No. 2 to put the Trojans up, 2-0. Playing at No. 5, #61 Eric Johnson dominated Strobel of Stanford, only dropping one game over two sets, as he came up with a 6-1, 6-0 victory. Quiroz, who clinched the victory for Troy on Friday versus Pac-12 rival California, came up big again on Saturday, defeating Romanowicz, 6-3, 6-2, to put USC up, 4-0.
On court No. 1, #27 Emilio Gomez took at 6-2, 6-1 victory over Morrissey to put the Trojans up, 5-0. Freshman de Vroome suffered the only loss of the day to Nolan Paige in three sets, but Michael Grant finished things up for the Trojans with a gritty comeback three-set victory over Stineman on No. 6.
The Trojans will now turn their focus to the ITA National Indoors, which start next week, February 15, and run through February 18 in Seattle, Wash.
#2 USC 6, #19 Stanford 1
Marks Tennis Stadium
February 9, 2013 6
1) Hanfmann/Sarmiento (USC) def. Kandath/Morrissey (STAN) - 8-2*
2) de Vroome/Quiroz (USC) DEF. Ball/Strobel (STAN) - 8-0
3) Johnson/Gomez (USC) vs. Romanowicz/Stineman (STAN) - 2-5 (Abandoned)
Order of Finish: 2,1*
1) #27 Emilio Gomez (USC) def. #39 John Morrissey (STAN) - 6-2, 6-1
2) #84 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. Matt Kandath (STAN) - 6-1, 6-1
3) #24 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) - 6-3, 6-2*
4) Nolan Paige (STAN) def. #78 Max de Vroome (USC) - 4-6, 7-5, (8-10)
5) #61 Eric Johnson (USC) def. Trey Strobel (STAN) - 6-1, 6-0
6) Michael Grant (USC) def. Robert Stineman (STAN) - 3-6, 7-6 (10-8), 10-7
Order of Finish: 2,5, 3*,1,4,6