Northwestern University Team Page
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- No. 14 Northwestern was eliminated from the ITA Team Indoor Championship on Saturday as the Wildcats dropped a 4-1 decision to third-ranked and second-seeded Duke.
NU was narrowly edged in doubles action at its Nos. 1 and 2 teams both fell by an 8-7 score as the Blue Devils claimed the doubles point.
The Wildcats were unable to come back in doubles play as Duke's lineup, which features four ranked players, was able to help them advance to Sunday's semifinal round.
Despite falling behind 2-0 following a Duke victory at No. 3 singles, Northwestern closed to within 2-1 as Belinda Niu pulled off a convincing 6-3, 6-0 victory at No. 4.
However, the Blue Devils were able to close out the match with wins at Nos. 5 and 6 to earn their second victory over the Wildcats in a seven-day span.
At No. 2, Veronica Corning was even with 53rd-ranked Mary Clayton at a set apiece and 1-1 in the decisive third set when the matchup was abandoned after Duke had clinched the match.
NU returns to action next Sunday as it hosts Notre Dame at Combe Tennis Center. First serve is set for 2 p.m.
#3 Duke 4, #14 Northwestern 1
1. Mary Clayton / Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) def. #42 Linda Abu Mushrefova / Nida Hamilton (NU) 8-7
2. Marianne Jodoin / Annie Mulholland (DUKE) def. Veronica Corning / Alicia Barnett (NU) 8-7
3. Monica Turewicz / Hanna Mar (DUKE) vs. Belinda Niu / Kate Turvy (NU) 7-4, unfinished
Order of finish: 1,2*
1. #10 Hanna Mar (DUKE) vs. #67 Kate Turvy (NU) 7-6, 4-1, unfinished
2. #53 Mary Clayton (DUKE) vs. Veronica Corning (NU) 6-7, 6-2, 1-1, unfinished
3. #40 Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) def. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Annie Mulholland (DUKE) 6-3, 6-0
5. Monica Turewicz (DUKE) def. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) 7-6, 6-3
6. #63 Marianne Jodoin (DUKE) def. Nida Hamilton (NU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 3,4,6,5*