Univ. of Georgia Team Page
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.--The fourth-seeded Georgia women's tennis team fell 4-1 to top-seeded UCLA in the semifinals of ITA National Team Indoors Sunday afternoon in Charlottesville, Va.
Georgia (5-1) lost a tight doubles point, and couldn't hold off the Bruins (6-0) in singles. Freshman Silvia Garcia scored for Georgia with a singles win.
“I saw a lot of fight from the team which I’m really excited about,” said head coach Jeff Wallace. “This weekend we came together and made great strides as a team. I really like where we are at this point in the season. UCLA played a fantastic match today against so you have to give them a great deal of credit.”
In doubles, Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia were first off the court after beating 16th-ranked Robin Anderson and Skylar Morton of UCLA, 8-5. Fuller and Garcia improve to 7-0 this season, including 3-0 versus ranked opponents. Georgia's 22nd ranked tandem of Lilly Kimbell and Maho Kowase fell to the Bruins' Courtney Dolehide and Pamela Montez, 8-5. With the doubles point hanging in the balance, Lauren Herring and Mia King saved three match points in the tiebreaker, but ultiamtely fell to UCLA's Kyle McPhillips and Catherine Harrison, 8-7 (8-6).
In singles, UCLA's Catherine Harrison battled back from a 4-1 first set deficit to beat Georgia's King, 6-4, 6-0. Shortly after, Georgia freshman Makenzie Craft lost to UCLA's Dolehide, 6-3, 6-0. Georgia's Garcia gave Georgia its lone point with a 6-1, 6-4 win over UCLA's Chanelle Van Nguyen. Garcia improves to 7-1 on the year. The Bruins' clinched their spot in the finals when Pamela Montez, ranked 96th in the country, beat Georgia's 54th-ranked Fuller, 6-4, 6-3. The loss is only Fuller's fourth of the year.
Kowase and Herring were both in third sets when their matches were halted.
Georgia will return home to square off with in-state rival Georgia Tech on Saturday, Feb. 23 at noon. The match will be held at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex and admission will be free.
No. 6 Georgia vs. No. 1 UCLA
Feb 10, 2013 at Charlottesville, VA
UCLA 4, Georgia 1
1. #6 Robin Anderson (UCLA) vs. #8 Lauren Herring (UGA) 6-3, 4-6, 3-1, unfinished
2. #47 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) vs. #18 Maho Kowase (UGA) 0-6, 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
3. #96 Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. #54 Kate Fuller (UGA) 6-4, 6-3
4. Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) 6-1, 6-4
5. Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Mia King (UGA) 6-4, 6-0
6. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Makenzie Craft (UGA) 6-3, 6-0
1. Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. #16 Robin Anderson/Skylar Morton (UCLA) 8-4
2. Courtney Dolehide/Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. #22 Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UGA) 8-5
3. Kyle McPhillips/Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Lauren Herring/Mia King (UGA) 8-7 (8-6)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,6,4,3)