Purdue University Team Page
BARBOURSVILLE, W.Va. - The No. 26 Purdue women's tennis team got back on track by defeating Marshall 6-1 on Saturday at the Huntington Tennis Club.
Purdue (2-1) started the afternoon slowly by dropping the doubles point to Marshall (2-4). Lynda Xepoleas and Krisztina Kapitany lost a tough No. 1 match 8-6. Gisella Pere and Imogen Golder made things interesting by winning an exciting No. 3 match against Marshall's Karlyn Timko and Dana Oppinger 9-7. Daniela Vidal and Mara Schmidt battled the entire set, only to fall a little short to Ellie Ball and Kara Kucin in the No. 2 spot, 8-6.
In singles play, the Boilers turn it around by getting a dominant performance from the No. 108 ranked player in the country, Schmidt. Schmidt defeated Maria Voscekova 6-0, 6-1. Making her season debut, Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum gave the Boilers a spark by winning the No. 4 match over Oppinger 6-2, 6-3. Golder gave Purdue a 3-1 lead in the match after she defeated Kucin in straight sets 6-4, 6-1. Xepoleas and Purdue clinched the match when she won in the No. 1 match defeating Dominika Zaprazna 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. Vidal also played a three-set match, when she defeated Ball 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 in the No. 3 match. Pere defeated Timko in the No. 6 match. She came back from a first set setback and won 4-6, 7-5, 10-7.
The Boilermakers travel to South Bend, Ind. to face the No. 18 Notre Dame Fighting Irish on Friday, Feb. 15, with action beggining at 4 p.m.
Purdue 6, Marshall 1
1. Dominika Zaprana/Maria Voscekova (MU) def. Krisztina Kapitany/Mara Schmidt (PUR) 8-6
2. Ellie Ball/Kara Kucin (MU) def. Lynda Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (PUR) 8-6
3. Imogen Golder/Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Karlyn Timko/Dana Oppinger (MU) 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR) def. Dominika Zaprazna (MU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Maria Voscekova (MU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Ellie Ball (MU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
4. Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (PUR) def. Dana Oppinger (MU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Kara Kucin (MU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Karlyn Timko (MU) 4-6, 7-5, 10-7
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5, 1*, 3, 6