University of Florida Team Page
Seattle, Wash. The No. 11 Florida men’s tennis team lost for the first time this season on Friday in the first round of the 2013 ITA Division I National Men's Team Indoor Championship. No. 5 Pepperdine proved to be too much for the Gators, beating UF, 4-1, in Seattle, Wash. Florida will face No. 13 California on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. ET.
Pepperdine, 6-0 on the season, got on the scoreboard first after winning the doubles point. The Waves got a win from the duo of Sebastian Fanselow and Alex Sarkissian on court two over Mike Alford and Florent Diep, 8-5. Pepperdine clinched the point with a win at No. 1 singles, as Finn Tearney and Francis Alcantara defeated Billy Federhofer and Gordon Watson, 8-6.
The Gators’ Stephane Piro and Bob van Overbeek won, 8-5, against the Waves’ Mousheg Hovhannisyan and David Sofaer.
In singles, Pepperdine extended its lead when Fanselow, the fourth-ranked player in the nation, defeated van Overbeek, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 1 singles. Alcantara made it 3-0 for the higher seed with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Watson at No. 4 singles. Alford got the Gators on the board with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Hovhannisyan on court five. The Waves clinched the team victory with a win on court two from Tearney over Diep, 6-3, 6-1.
The remaining matches were halted on courts three and six after Pepperdine clinched the victory. Piro led Sarkissian, 6-2, 2-1 at No. 3 singles, while Federhofer dropped the first set, 6-2, but led in the second set, 4-1, on court six against Sofaer.
ITA National Indoor Championships
February 15, 2013
Seattle, Wash. (Seattle Tennis Club)
#5 Pepperdine 4, #11 Florida 1
1. #4 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #78 Bob van Overbeek (UF), 6-2, 6-1
2. *#105 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. #36 Florent Diep (UF), 6-3, 6-1
3. #108 Stephane Piro (UF) led #89 Alex Sarkissian (PEP), 6-2, 2-1 - unfinished
4. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Gordon Watson (UF), 6-2, 6-0
5. Michael Alford (UF) def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP), 6-2, 6-3
6. Billy Federhofer (UF) vs. David Sofaer (PEP), 2-6, 4-1 - unfinished
1. Tearney/Alcantara (PEP) def. Watson/Federhofer (UF), 8-6
2. Fanselow/Sarkissian (PEP) def. #46 Alford/Diep (UF), 8-5
3. Piro/van Overbeek (UF) def. Hovhannisyan/Sofaer (PEP), 8-5
Florida 6-1; National ranking #11
Pepperdine 6-0; National ranking #5
Order of Finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1), Singles (1, 4, 5, 2)