No. 8 OU beat No. 24 Washington in the consolation round of Indoor National...
Univ. of Oklahoma Team Page
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 8 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team defeated host-team No. 24 Washington, 4-2, in the consolation bracket of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Seattle, Wash., Saturday, Feb. 16.
The Sooners (6-2) won the first match of the night when Costin Paval and Dane Webb defeated Emmett Egger and Kyle McMorrow, 8-2. The Huskies' (6-4) Marton Bots and Max Manthou responded by beating Axel Alvarez Llamas and Guillermo Alcorta, 8-5.
Peerakit Siributwong and Leonard Stakhovsky then battled for the doubles point, topping Viktor Farkas and Jeff Hawke, 8-5, and claiming the first team point for OU.
In singles, Washington tied the match after Alvarez Llamas retired in his match against Manthou when the Husky led 6-3, 3-0.
Webb grabbed the next team point for the Sooners, beating Egger 6-4, 6-1. Washington tied things again when Farkas topped Stakhovsky 6-3, 6-4.
ITA No. 68 Paval upset No. 18 Kyle McMorrow, defeating him 6-4, 6-4, to bring OU's lead to 3-2.
Alcorta clinched the match for the Sooners, beating Bots 6-4, 6-4.
OU faces No. 13 California (4-3) in the final consolation round of the National Team Indoor Championships at 7:30 p.m. CT Sunday, Feb. 17.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information on the men's tennis program.
No. 8 Oklahoma 4, No. 24 Washington 2
1. Paval Webb (OU) def. Egger/McMorrow (Washington), 8-2
2. Bots/Manthou (Washington) def. Alvarez Llamas/Alcorta (OU), 8-5
3. Siributwong/Stakhovsky (OU) def. Farkas/Hawke (Washington), 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Costin Paval (OU) def. Kyle McMorrow (Washington), 6-4, 6-4
2. Guillermo Alcorta (OU0 def. Marton Bots (Washington), 6-4, 6-4
3. Dane Webb (OU) def. Emmett Egger (Washington), 6-4, 6-1
4. Max Manthou (Washington) def. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU), 6-3, 3-0 (ret.)
5. Viktor Farkas (Washington) def. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Peerakit Siributwong led Jeff Hawke, 6-3, 2-6, 2-1 (dnf)
Order of finish: 4, 3, 5, 1, 2*