Boise State University Team Page
SAN DIEGO - The No. 39 Boise State men’s tennis team fell to No. 26 San Diego 5-2, Friday.
The Broncos started with a sweep of the doubles point. The top two doubles teams of Bettles/Sereke and Patton/Sears each rolled in their matches. Bettles/Sereke defeated Furzgerald/Kalaydijian 8-3 while Patton/Sears won 8-4. Boise State’s third team of Mitchell/Pogostkin tacked on a win of its own for good measure in much tighter fashion, 8-7.
Boise State has been successful in doubles so far this season as it is the team’s fifth doubles point and third sweep of the spring. Patton/Sears have led the charge with a 7-1 record and are riding a five-match win streak.
Things took a turn in singles though as the Toreros won five of the six matches.
Reigning Mountain West Player of the Week Andy Bettles claimed the lone singles point for Boise State who has now won his last five singles matches. Bettles took down Romain Kalaydjian, 6-3, 6-1, Friday.
Sophomore Garrett Patton gave Victor Pugliese a run at the No. 5 position, winning the first set 6-2 but lost the second by the same score. The two were neck-and-until a late break gave Pugliese a 6-4 edge.
Each of the other four singles contests were decided in straight sets.
The Broncos will be on short rest when they take on No. 70 San Diego State, Saturday at noon PT. Both teams are 1-0 in Mountain West play this season.
1. No. 27 Andy Bettles def. Romain Kalaydjian, 6-3, 6-1
2. Thibaut Visy def. Nathan Sereke, 7-5, 6-4
3. No. 88 Clarke Spinosa def. Scott Sears, 7-6, 6-0
4. No. 107 Uros Petronijevoc def. Filipp Pogostkin, 6-2, 6-0
5. Victor Pugliese def. Garrett Patton, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Ciaran Fitzgerald def. Thomas Tenreiro, 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 1, 6, 3, 2, 5
1. Bettles/Sereke def. Fitzgerald/Kaladjian, 8-3
2. Patton/Sears def. Petronijevoc/Visy, 8-4
3. Mitchell/Pogostkin def. Spinosa/Carlisle, 8-7
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3