Univ. of Oklahoma Team Page
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 9 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team (8-2) defeated No. 14 Texas A&M (8-4), 5-2, Sunday, Feb. 24, in College Station, Texas.
"We did a great job competing and executing against a very good A&M team today," OU head coach John Roddick said.
In their first outdoor match of the spring season, the Sooners jumped to a quick lead.
OU snatched the first team point after Peerakit Siributwong and Lawrence Formentera, and Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas both won their doubles matches 8-6.
"Our doubles was outstanding and that really got us off to a good start," Roddick said.
Alcorta and Siributwong helped extend the lead by beating their opponents 6-1, 6-3 and 6-2, 6-4, respectively.
Leonard Stakhovsky sealed the win for OU, defeating Jackson Withrow 6-4, 6-3.
"It was good to see Leo close out the match today," Roddick said. "He did a great job of closing out his match."
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information on the men's tennis program.
The Sooners continue their road stretch next weekend. They play No. 31 Wake Forest Friday, March 1, at 5 p.m. in Winston-Salem, N.C., and then face No. 1 Virginia Sunday, March 3, at 12 p.m. in Charlottesville, Va.
Oklahoma 5, Texas A&M 2
1. Paval/Webb (OU) vs. Adams/Vinsant (A&M), 6-7 (dnf)
2. Alcorta/Alvarez-Llamas (OU) def. Ore/Withrow (A&M), 8-6
3. Siributwong/Formentera (OU) def. Efferding/Szabo (A&M), 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. Costin Paval (OU) def. Junior Ore (A&M), 6-4, 6-2
2. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Jeremy Efferding (A&), 6-1, 6-3
3. Harry Adams (A&M) def. Dane Webb (OU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Shane Vinsant (A&M) def. Axel Alvarez-Llamas (OU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-0
5. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) def. Jackson Withrow (A&M), 6-4, 6-3
6. Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Jordan Szabo (A&M), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 6, 5*, 4, 3, 1