UC Santa Barbara Team Page
ARLINGTON, Tx.- The Gaucho women take home a 4-0 win against Stephen F. Austin in Arlington, Texas.
The match started out in under 40 degree weather, but this was no reason to give the Gauchos not to warm up fast as they blew past their Texas opponents 4-0.
"Warming up was definitely a challenge, but once everyone had hit for a while it got a lot better." Senior Erica Cano said of the cold conditions.
The women started out strong in doubles and were able to capture the coveted doubles point, giving the women a 1-0 edge over SFA. Number one and two doubles both won their matches 8-3, while number three doubles stopped playing once the point was decided.
"We switched up our partners and I think it was for the best. Everyone came out with a lot of enthusiasm and positive energy which helped us get some quick starts." said Cano.
The Gauchos, obviously not used to such extreme weather conditions decided with the Jacks that once the outcome of the match was decided, that the other matches would be suspended to save all the women from the cold.
"We saw good improvements today in doubles. The conditions were not easy; under 40 degree weather. We are glad to get a quick win and save energy for UT Arlington tomorrow." Coach Thibodeau said of the women's performance.
The women then swept in singles, winning three more matches at numbers 4, 5 and 6. Erica Cano was the first off the court, winning her match 6-3, 6-0. Next came Priscila Garcia and Stacy Yam winning their matches 6-3, 6-2 and 6-3, 6-4 respectively.
The top half of the lineup all suspended play as the outcome of the match was already decided at 4-0 for the Gauchos.
The women will match up against University of Texas, Arlington tomorrow in Arlington at 10:00am.
1. 1. GORDO, Malena (SFA) vs. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 1-6, 3-4
2. 2. LORCA, Julia (SFA) vs. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 6-7, 1-0
3. 3. De Haan, Margot (SFA) vs. Paola Cos (UCSB) 6-2, 1-0
4. 4. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. BUGAYENKO, Kateryna (SFA) 6-3, 6-2
5. 5. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. TERENTYEVA, Valeria (SFA) 6-3, 6-4
6. 6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. SERVISE, Laura (SFA) 6-3, 6-0
1. 1. Priscila Garica/ Erica Cano (UCSB) def. GORDO, Malena/TERENTYEVA, Valeria (SFA) 8-3
2. 2. April Scatliffe/ Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. De Haan, Margot/ SERVISE, Laura (SFA) 8-3
3. 3. BUGAYENKO, Kateryna/ LORCA, Julia (SFA) vs. Paola Cos/ Stacy Yam (UCSB) 5-6 (not finish)
UC Santa Barbara 7-3