Univ. of Texas at Austin Team Page
AUSTIN, Texas - No. 21 men's tennis swept the first five team points on its to way to a 5-2 win over Penn State on Thursday night at Penick-Allison Tennis Center.
The Longhorns improve to 8-4 on the season, including a 3-0 mark at home, as they begin a six-match homestand that includes No. 30 Michigan on Saturday, No. 44 North Carolina on March 12 and No. 1 Virginia on March 15.
Thursday was the first time the two schools met in a men's tennis dual match. Penn State, led by Texas natives Russell Bader (Westlake HS) and Bryan Welnetz (United HS), falls to 5-8 on the year.
After the teams split the first two doubles matches, all eyes were on center court at No. 1 doubles to decide the point. No. 11 Chris Camillone and David Holiner rallied from a two-set deficit to win the next four sets and clinch the point against Bader and Guanhua Chen, 8-6.
"We talked a lot about being really aggressive, and in the moment being able to make a lot of plays," head coach Michael Center said. "I really liked the way we executed at the end of No. 1 doubles. I thought we raised our level and got a critical point there."
After missing two matches due to injury, sophomore Soren Hess-Olesen returned to the court at No. 1 singles with a quick straight-set victory over Texas native Welnetz (6-3, 6-3).
Freshman Nick Naumann's straight-set singles victory over Roman Trkulja in No. 5 singles clinched the fourth team point and win for the Longhorns. Naumann improved to 7-2 in dual match singles this season.
The remaining singles matches that went to a third set were decided by a 10-point tiebreaker.
Lloyd Glasspool extended his singles winning streak to four matches with a three-set win over Bader, which was decided in a 10-5 tiebreaker in the third set.
The Longhorns continue a six-match homestand on Saturday against No. 30 Michigan at Penick-Allison Tennis Center.
No. 21 Texas 5, Penn State 2
1. #50 Soren Hess-Olesen (UT) def. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) -6-3, 6-3
2. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU) def. #80 Daniel Whitehead (UT) - 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
3. Lloyd Glasspool (UT) def. Russell Bader (PSU) - 6-7(4), 6-0, 1-0(5)
4. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) def. Chris Young (PSU) - 6-3, 6-2
5. Nick Naumann (UT) def. Roman Trkulja (PSU) -7-5, 6-0
6. Matt Barry (PSU) def. David Holiner (UT) - 6-1, 5-7, 1-0(9)
Order of finish: 1, 4 ,5*, 3, 6, 2
1. #11 Chris Camillone / David Holiner (UT) def. Russell Bader / Guanhua Chen (PSU) - 8-6
2. Bryan Welnetz / C.J. Griffin (PSU) def. Ben Chen / Daniel Whitehead (UT) - 8-5
3. Jacoby Lewis / Nick Naumann (UT) def. Roman Trkulja / Matt Barry (PSU) - 8-3
Order finish: 3, 2, 1*